Different looking RIRs

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Kanat, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Kanat

Kanat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2008
    NC
    Hello,

I think that it is quite interesting that how different my two Rhode Island pullets can look.

They should be about 21-23 weeks old now. The darker one is from McMurray Hatchery and the large red one is from a local breeder. They haven't laid any eggs yet.

There was a time when we were afraid that Blondie would be a rooster... she is so handsome, don't you think!?

Blondie:
    [​IMG]

Blondie behind:
    [​IMG]

Blondie poses:
    [​IMG]

Sugar has no wattle or comb!
    [​IMG]

Sugar is much smaller:
    [​IMG]

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That one is too orangey to be true RIR, but actually, the legs are almost white, too white for that age. They should be bright yellow. I have one hatchery RIR (used to be three, but two died from internal laying) and three breeder, probably show quality RIRs. I also have two New Hampshire Reds that look like your big one, very orangey. Check out my thread in Breeds and Genetics about my BIG Red girls and you'll see what I mean. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=115269

Nope
    , I looked again.. the big orangey one is not a RIR at all, not even a Production Red. I think it's a cross.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  3. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    I think Sugar is a Buckeye.

4. speckledhen

Sugar looks like my breeder RIRs. They tend to mature much more slowly than hatchery stock. She's not a Buckeye because it looks like she has a single comb and actual wattles. Is it a single or pea comb? The pic is a tiny bit blurry in that area.

5. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Take a good look at Blondie's (pointed) saddle and tail feathers;)
    rrrr rrr rr rrroooo....[​IMG]

added: I LOVE roosters, that's going to be one handsome roo when he grows up! He can still be called Blondie, there was a young man in our town named so...

6. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Quote:Unless Blondie is laying eggs, that was my thought upon seeing that full side view. She's a he! [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

Well, heck, I was looking at ID'ing the breed and didn't even notice that Blondie was a Butch!! Yep, saddle feathers galore, definite rooster.

And he's not a RIR rooster, either.

8. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Blondie looks like a cockerel to me as well! Curious that this one came from a breeder. Did all of their RIR look orange?

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I don't think Blondie is a hen OR a RIR. Looks Buckeye or NHR to me.

10. speckledhen

IMO, has to be a cross between a red breed and a white legged breed. That bird does not have yellow legs, as do RIRs and NHs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by