Difficult horse decision *UPDATE*

WOW!!! Nice first post.
big_smile.png

Wow that will teach me not to check BYC more often!

There's probably a few things that need saying about Lucy. Firstly, she will not be going to a slaughterhouse, rodeo company or sale barn, end of story. If she gets to the point where we feel she should be euthanized, then we will put her down here. I will never intentionally send a horse to slaughter, for my own sake if not theirs. She doesn't buck well enough to be a saddle bronc if she can't throw me
tongue.png

She wasn't the product of reckless/backyard breeding. On paper, she's a hell of a horse, but you can't ride papers. We bought her privately, from a couple who had owned her since she was 2. I wish I could find the advertisement for her, I do remember her being described as 'the kind of horse anyone can ride'. They bought her from a dealer, not too sure what went on there, but before that she was with the family that bred her. I did have their e-mail address at one point, I may see if they can shed any light on her issues, although people tend to be reluctant to talk about horses they've sold! I do know that the people who bred her raise show horses, and she was owned by a young teenage girl. My husband thinks that she is used to being spoilt, and acts out because she isn't used to being made to do something she doesn't want to. He also thinks she may lack confidence in herself, and making her try something she thinks she can't do makes her throw a fit. She always has to assert her dominance with other horses.

She had very poor ground manners when we got her, like I mentioned before she would literally walk over the top of me or stick her butt in my face and back up to have it scratched. That is one thing that has been cured. She has never kicked or pawed at us. She has never acted like she is intentionally trying to hurt anyone, inadvertently she certainly could, but she is not malicious.

Tralea, thanks a lot for taking the time to post, and I am terribly sorry about your dog. We love ours dearly and the upset of losing one is dreadful.

We actually did a lot of things you recommended when we bought Lucy, but unfortunately it came back to bite us in the ass (not to say that it isn't good advice, the deck was apparently stacked against us that day). She is King line-bred, I think around 53%, and King horses do have a reputation for being 'born broke'. She has the kindest eye i've ever seen on a horse. My father in law knows more about horses than I ever will, and he likes her a great deal other than the fact that she's a mare! He hasn't been around for her more dramatic tantrums though.

Pat, there always is the possibility that there is an underlying medical problem, but I really would be surprised if there was in her case. Sometimes she will neck rein beautifully to the left, and other times she is rotten. Lunging she will often pitch a fit starting her to the left (usually rearing and refusing to move), but once that is over with she is just fine. My husband has tried driving her but that is worse than riding her. Loose in the pen, especially when she doesn't want to be caught, she couldn't be more athletic.

I'm not sure whether I mentioned this before but it might be significant. Working cattle she is usually much better. My husband can cut cattle on her and she will rollback beautifully, but she is dreadful riding the 1/4 mile to the arena and back. On one occasion she'd switched moods between leaving the calves and getting to the arena gate.

When we bought her they were riding her in a mechanical hackamore. She tossed her head pretty bad when we tried her out, so we switched her to a bit and that habit disappeared.

We have a round pen, a large rectangular pen, and a roping arena that is way too big (it's probably 350'x150'). She absolutely hates the round pen. She is better in the rectangular pen, and usually best in the arena. If her mood changes then she can be awful anywhere, but my husband has had the best luck with her in the arena. She needs regular riding, but it seems to blow her mind if it's too regular. She can sometimes be good for two days in a row, but the third is a disaster.

Against my better judgment, she's going to get one more chance. We had listed her for sale, but it's not sitting right with me. I don't know why, as frustrating as she can be, but I want to be sure. Although it was only one week in nearly four months of owning her, she was almost perfect. It's unlikely, but the idea that channeling her stubborn nature into something constructive (like working cattle) would make a great horse just keeps nagging at me. After all, Trevor Brazile's best roping horse was once terrified of cattle!

I think I just need someone independent of the situation to tell me she's no good. We have arranged for her to go to a trainer/now friend of ours for a ten day refresher. We like him a great deal as he has fun with the horses he trains, and they respond well to him. He's not heavy handed, but equally he won't take any of her nonsense. Worst case he's a retired bronc rider
tongue.png

You are far more gracious that I am in giving her another chance but that's me - I've had a snarky mare - owned her dam and then made the mistake of keeping the snark for 10 years and 3 foals. Her foals were awesomw - she was a witch - thankfully her foals never inherited her awful disposition. When she kicked me and left a permanent divot in the bone below my knee, that was the last straw.

Mares can be horrible and if they have a disposition that is unpredictable and/or cranky, I don't believe any amount of riding, handling, ground training or any other Clinton Anderson, John Lyons or any other horse whisperer is gonna change that.

Being of King breeding, it's hard to believe she's moody but you are so right - papers can look purple and distinguished and you still can't ride print.

You are a person of deep integrity - I can tell - you can't just dump the mare or pass her off to someone else. I applaud you for taking this approach - like I said - it's more than I would.

Everyone keeps talking about how moody mares are, and I agree. Id rather have a stud or a gelding than a mare. I lost my pinkie finger when I was younger because of a moody mare.
smile.png

Some of my favourite horses to ride when I was a kid were mares, but it dawned on me that the riding school had them because they were great horses despite being mares, and worth the trouble. They didn't have 3 mares and 40 some geldings for nothing LOL

Just had another thought...

They were riding her in a hackamore, we asked about it and they said it was because she handled fine in it so they didn't need a bit. I'm wondering if there isn't another reason. She rides better with more legs and less hands. I need to get my husband to try her in a halter or hackamore.

Quote:
Yep, I have seen some horses that are toughed mouthed or that have a real sensetive mouth and dont respond to a bit. That would be worth a try. That could solve your problem.

Back
Top Bottom