Difficult horse decision *UPDATE*

Although it wouldn't explain why she's a female dog to lunge
roll.png

Quote:
Yeah, try that. Hy appaloosa hit his mouth on a fence board while being chased by another gelding, and we didnt about it until he started bucking. So the dentist came out and looked and he broke two of his teeth and they got infected. Goodluck.

Cara, you have hit on some possible solutions on your own. If you can contact the original owners/breeders of her and get them to shed some light on her background while she was with them before they sold her, it would be of great insight into her behavior. Also have the vet check her over, just to be on the safe side and rule out any physical impairments.

You have decided to give her one more chance, for which I commend you. Try the hackamore on her and see if that helps with some of the reining problems.

When I was growing up, one of my friends had a purebred Arabian Mare that everyone said was a total fiend. She had some of the worst ground manners and was almost impossible to ride once saddled. He gave her to me, and I studied this mare for awhile, then I slowly started to work with her, retraining her.

Yes I had my share of bruises from her, but in the end she turned out to be one of the best horses I ever had. Part of the problem was that my friend had no idea how to treat her, one day he was all nice with her, and the next when she did something he didn't like he roughed her up. So she mistrusted people. I had to win her trust, and once she realized that I wasn't going to hurt her, she started to come around. Once I gained her trust, she would do anything for me, she was absolutely fearless. I know alot of people would rather have a gelding or a stud horse, but me I'll take a mare anyday, moody or not.

I LOVE Mares. Of my 13 horses, 11 are great wonderful mares. I hope Cara gets the kind of bonding, love and trust I get from my wonderful babies. Having a horse that wants to be with you, work and play with you is just an incredible feeling.
My stud, Padron, is the best at going out totally by ourselves and blazing trails, being in uncomfortable, buggy, briary situations with, and never getting fussy or wanting to head back.
My new stallion, Czar, is not broke yet, but he is really nice to handle.
Personally, I think that mare is a lazy ingrate- but I hope you send her off a little better than she was when you got her- if nothing else.

My original dream was to put horses into circulation that give people the kind of wonderful experiences I have had. Because of the horse economy and people's negative view of Arabs, my 11 beautiful mares sit in a field, occasionally ridden, and not having babies. I wish there were more Caras in the world and I could sell them horses
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
sad.png
sad.png

Lisa

I WAY prefer mares myself. Most of my horses over the years have been mares and I have only had one snarky one, a filly and I traded her off as soon as she pinned her ears and swung her head around to me at feeding time. She was a yearling, had never been mistreated and her sire was a dangerous stud.

Quote:
I'd say she's had her chance. Why waste any more time with a dangerous animal when there are so many good ones out there?

I agree with this (above)
I disagree that just because she has a uterus, you should breed her. There is NO need to perpetuate bad attitudes/behaviors.. the horse market is flooded as it is, without adding to the problem with more problem animals.

I just skimmed through the first 5 of these 8 pages, but I didn't see anywhere that you had had her vetted. The first thing that pops into my mind is "teeth". The next thing is "get a foundation on her". Perhaps your husband is capable of that, or perhaps not. "Sending her down the road" is what created her as a problem child to begin with.

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a time, but it doesn't sound like this mare was what you needed. I hope you are able to get what you need and I also hope the mare ends up with a fair shake somehow. Good luck!

Last edited:
When I was a kid, I had an appaloosa mare who would buck on occasion. She was getting too much corn in her diet. She had gas. Poor baby.

Vet visit for sure. I agree with warhorse, sounds like this girl needs a fair shake and some time.

Keep the mare and build a relationship/trust. Some of the best friendships start off terribly. She has issues but not ones that can't be worked out. Give her some time.

Last edited:
i would say you need to restart her like she was never borke start on the ground gain her respect there first and work form there. If you can get ahold of Kenny Harlow videos he has one on restarting a horse like yours. he has a web site too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom