Difficult horse decision *UPDATE*

Quote:
I e-mailed the family who bred her this morning. Not sure whether i'll hear back, but if I do it should help shed some light on whether this is a temperament problem or the result of poor handling. They sold her as a 2yr old, the people we bought her from got her when she was 2 but through a dealer. We're not sure whether the breeder started her or the dealer did.

She isn't what I need, and chances are even if the trainer can 'fix' her, she still won't be. I know what she can do, and that will always be in the back of my mind. I'd rather sell a good horse than a bad one though. She can be sweet, and sometimes there is a glimmer of hope. Even though she is a grouchy sow, she's a young grouchy sow. I don't want it on my conscience that her next 20 some years on earth are wasted because I didn't try, even if she is a PITA. She is too much for me, but at least this way I have a chance of finding her a job/person that suits her and can make something of her. If she went to someone heavy handed then she probably would end up having to be put down.

We screwed up choosing her, but what's really scary is the number of people willing to buy a problem horse even when they've been explicitly told about it. That's a big factor in why I took her off the market. I actually had two people call asking about her for a kid's horse. If they don't know the danger in that, they don't know how to handle her themselves. We had the same thing happen with a gelding we sold. He was extremely hot, snorty and spooky. My FIL used to worry he'd die of a heart attack he was so tense! We actually had someone call because his 13 yr old daughter had been saving up for a horse and ours was the right price. He thought she could just ride him in the corral until she was older. I ended up telling them outright that they shouldn't come and see him because she was only going to be disappointed. We sold him to a team roper who wasn't remotely intimidated by him, but also calm. We couldn't have picked a better fit, and he loves him.

Lucy in a better moment:

DSCN0407.jpg

Quote:
Awwww thanks
smile.png
I know what you mean about the negative image of Arabs. My husband thinks they're all hot headed and silly, and too fine-boned to stay sound here. I'm not sure that he's ever had much to do with one though.

My FIL isn't exactly know for embracing anything 'new' or 'different' LOL We often give him a hard time about it, that he's the only person we know that would avoid anything described as 'new' in a store. For the most part he thinks the only good horse is a Quarter Horse. He did say that if I hunted around hard enough I might find a good Paint. I think it would kill him if I brought an Appaloosa home. I seem to be having a bad track record with QHs though. I find them worse than most for trying to get the better of people.

Quote:
OMG!!!! You have PADRON!!!??? THE Padron, like that is his whole name??? Jeeeeze Louise!!! and WOW!

The famous Arab stallion Padron passed away in '07, he was 29.

Oh... years and years ago I gave some riding lessons to Raymond Mazzei that had Fuiroso Farms' wife, (the red-headed one with twins. I know, he was a serial husband...) But I digress... He was so gentle and sweet natured and not happy in the stud barn. He always lived in with the mares and babies and was so sweet.

I like the Chris Cox halter (?) on Lucy, she does have a kind eye.
I understand the QH fixation, probably no different than my Arab fixation.

I have a Padron son, Nonsuch Padron, we call him Padron. I never got to meet his Dad, I am so jealous you not only saw him but knew him.
He's the first stallion I've ever owned, I've had him about 14 years, he's 20 now. I knew nothing about stallions when I bought him but fortunately he is just wonderfully dispositioned so there was no real learning curve.
Do not want to hijack this post with how wonderful he is but... here is a quick story:
We rode in a local Maryland parade in 99, first time for both of us. We followed Santa's Sleigh, and I was so proud of him, there were marching bands, lots and lots of noise, firetrucks- all of it and he was great! At one point the Herrs Potato Chip Chipmunk decided to walk next to us and I saw him looking over at him -just wondering, but being really brave, he just ignored it. We finished at a local park and we had to cross a sidewalk onto a field and circle back to the horse trailer- he shied at the white stripe on the edge of the sidewalk- can you believe it?? First time all day. Had to laugh.

GROUND WORK GROUND WORK GROUND WORK!!!

Don't even get on her back until she's an angel on the ground. Then when you do get on, don't start working cattle with her until you can actually ride her normally.

Taking it slow with her would probably be your best bet, work on basic stuff and move up instead of assuming she's trained enough for cattle even though she throws a fit every time. She'll eventually calm down.

Good luck and happy riding!

Cara, Have to throw in one more comment in regards to FIL's assessment.
I read this story about a man name Van-something who owned a famous resort in maybe Colorado mountains that entertained Hollywood types but was also a real working cattle ranch. The guys son ran the cattle. Van-something had read about Arabians and told his son he was going to get some and he wanted his son to use them with the cattle. His son argued and finally relented and said, "fine I'll throw them in my string". His Dad gave him (I think it was Zarife) and said "Son, this is your string." To prove his Dad was ridiculous he rode the horse hard day after day and made it his only horse. His Dad was right about Zarife and in the process the son fell in love with the breed. They went on to use them for cattle and also dress them up and entertain guests, trail rides etc.. That son of Van something, went on to become President of the AHA years later. Thought it was a cool story. They showed pictures of him working the heck out of the horse and the horse just keeping it up and giving it all he had.

( I love that line- son, this is your string)

I agree SeramaMama1 we have a few horses that are getting full of them selfs so we are starting over on the ground get there respect then move forward. I dont think enough people now how to do ground work or lunge your not trying to tire the horse out your teaching him cues. getting his attention on you .

why waste time with a horse you are afraid to ride? Leave the breaking and training to the experts, there are plenty of great 10-15 year old horses that need a job and can help you get your confidence back.....trust me, I know. I bought a 10 year old Missouri Foxtrotter that was listed as "kid safe" and I absolutely loved her....after my first ride, I knew I had made a mistake. She scared me, tossing her head and doing that little bunny hop thing...my husband thinks she's the nicest ride, but I just lose my nerve on her. I bought a 10 year old QH that is dead broke, a little bit dead-headed, but with the right bit and a pair of spurs, she's perfect. We have so much fun together and she is so willing to please...IT WAS A PERFECT FIT! Life's too short and at my age (50) I don't bounce so good. Get a safe horse right from the start, or you are going to get hurt.

Back
Top Bottom