Difficult horse decision *UPDATE*

B. Saffles Farms :

Quote:
Yep, I have seen some horses that are toughed mouthed or that have a real sensetive mouth and dont respond to a bit. That would be worth a try. That could solve your problem.

I loved the hackmore with all of my horses. They had tender mouths and the hackmore did not bother them to the point they were loony. If I had a bit in my mouth I would be LOONEY!!! gag gag!

Have you talked to the previous owner?​

Quote:
The bit in the video is of a spoon type or flat port. It is also comparable to a catheral = and yes I know most people freak at that bit. However, it communicates a lot of the information your hands are sending to the tounge and roof of the mouth. I like the higher port, but it isn't for a baby horse or a green horse. I also like to ride with a very loose rein.

Your basic snaffle works off pressure on the bars of the mouth - and an O ring verses D ring work differently also. The O ring snaffle has movement if it is not fixed (like most) and a really sensitive horse will feel the littlest movement in that ring before you actually pull on the reins. The D ring is like a full cheek also in that it is fixed and will pull on the side of the mouth along with the mouth piece action. Now I say snaffle in the mouth piece itself has one "joint" inside the mouth. If you have a French Link or a Dr. Bristol, you will get a different pressure point - being the tounge more than the bars of the mouth. Some horses simply cannot stand bar pressure in their mouth and do better with tounge and roof of the mouth pressure.

A flat mouth spoon port like the one in the video also promotes the horses head to stay verticle since they would enact the bit if they lifted their heads. The shorter shank is less corrective than the longer shank. Since the horse in the video could not get his head comfortably above the bit by stretching out his nose, he had a much harder time of running away by grabbing on the bit and keeping that head in the air. And once the bit had more communication - even with an inexperienced rider - he had a better chance of figuring out what the rider wanted. This horse's inexperience really showed in that situation.

Snaffle bits and hacks are wonderful training equipment. And for the right rider they are great. However, for someone who doesn't know how to ride they can also become something to hang on and dull the horse's response. Especially one that doesn't work well with the pressure the particular bit gives them.

I did not look up your combo bit, but some of them simply have a lighter or less corrective mouth and a nose band included.

Each horse is different. And a bit is only as hard on a horse as the riders hands.

The training bit does not just rely on the roof of the mouth. It also distributes control on a nose band and at the poll at the top of the head ALL at the same time. That is why it is more effective than anything else on the market right now.

Frank Evans spent 50 years developing these products and now they are even used in the olympics and other competitions
This video explains all the bits what they do and why this one is better
This one is about Frank Evans

Last edited:
Silly idea, but it works. Put a bridle on your head and hang it off the top of your head. Obviously don't put the mouth piece in! LOL Hold the bit with your hands and have someone pull on your reins. Most curb bits will put pressure on the poll. And if you have a nose band, they will put pressure on them also.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying this is a bad bit. However, there are many many great bits out there. Why? Because all horses are different. I personally love a custom made bit and have a few that I have had made by an unknown commercial name. This guy is pretty booked also with orders but you won't find him advertised.

It is all in learning how bits work and don't work. Trying that silly method I explained above will give you an idea of pressure points first hand. Then put it on a horse and put your hand under the poll strap and nose band etc... all the while testing the reins so you can personally feel the pressure.

OH, goodness - it's nice that you all are putting in your 2 cents worth on bits, etc. That's all SUPER interesting, especially to me, as I have a big interest in bits - always have. They intrigue me; how the tiniest little difference in them equates to a world of difference to the wearer.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say to Cara - YOU GO GIRL! I'm SO proud of you, and gosh, I don't even know you! Sounds like you are BOUND and determined to make this work...YOU are learning, Lucy is learning, you're becoming a team...what more could you ask? Those tough days are all learning experiences, and it sounds to me like you have decided that you are going to take them as such. That's a HUGE step forward, and one that so many folks just cannot do. I'm thrilled to hear of your progress, and mostly so happy that you didn't give up! HUGS!!!!!!!!!!
hugs.gif
and keep up the great work!

Quote:
Well thanks! I'm amazed that the fear is gone.. for the most part! I don't know why but she can't make me mad anymore. Probably because if we're both mad it's a wreck waiting to happen, and if I stay calm and keep asking she will cooperate. If I try to fight her, i'm going to lose as i'm a lot smaller and a lot squishier than she is.

I'm very wary of trying her in a bit again, especially because it probably has bad associations for her now. There is one bit that she much preferred, so i'll probably see if I can borrow it again when we're both ready. It was a Chris Cox fixed D-ring, not sure who makes it.

http://www.chris-cox.com/catalog/pr...d=157&osCsid=3e77008987fd3be1c45127fc9303af9c

The main differences I can see are that it has a curved mouthpiece that it relatively thin. The vet did say she has a big tongue, so it may be more comfortable to use a thinner bit. I've been wondering about the Myler combination bits also as they are similar in design, and work on nose pressure as well as the mouth.

http://mylerbitsusa.com/bit_combo2.shtml

Luckily there is somewhere that will rent Myler bits on trial for $5. I don't want to spend $75 on the Chris Cox one and then another $120 on a Myler! They only allow a week's trial, but I guess it's long enough to figure out if it definitely won't work.

I have to admit I have my reservations about the Mikmar as it looks quite strong.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom