Difficulties of Peeling Homegrown Boiled Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickengirl2013

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 5, 2013
Loganville, Georgia
Since we are getting over three dozen eggs per week from our chickens, we are eating a lot more stuffed eggs (deviled eggs), boiled eggs, and other eggy foods. One thing that we have been noticing is that peeling a boiled egg from the store and peeling a boiled egg from the farm are two different ballgames. When ever we boil eggs, we always add salt to the water in order to make peeling easier and to avoid the annoying sticking to the shell. This has always worked well with eggs that we buy from the store. However, we still do the same trick with our home-grown eggs and they stick to the shells something terrible. Is there any remedy or trick that yall use to make the shell not stick to the egg white?

I actually spent several weeks last year boiling my fresh eggs every night. I tried every way I could find. They all failed an all I got was me being sick of eating eggs for a while.

I have seen lots of people that say they know how but wont tell, an others that when they do you find out that fresh to them is just home from the store.

If I find any new ideas I am still willing to try though.

One trick my mother read somewhere and told me about... use a spoon. When you crack the egg, slide the spoon under the shell with the bowl part of the spoon like it's cupping the egg and slide the spoon around between the shell and the egg. It's kinda hard to describe... It might take a little practice, but it works!

crack the shell after they are boiled and put them in cold water. You can poke a hole in the shell before you boil them with a pin that helps.

Tap egg on counter/edge of sink/etc. to introduce slight-superficial fractures in shell prior to placing in cold water. Bring up heat, slowly, to a boil. ~90% of just out of nest eggs will peel cleanly after cooking. (got sick of deviled eggs that first summer with chooks).

There are as many methods as there are chickeneers

Last edited:
I start all my eggs in cold water, bring them to a boil. Let them boil for four minutes and then take them of the heat and out on the lid. I let them sit for at least 15 minutes. Then I drain them . After that I grab a handful of ice cubes or two and throw them over the eggs and add cold water. Had worked for me so far.

There are lots of tricks to peeling hard boiled eggs none of which I can ever remember when I need to. The simplest one is to just let the eggs age a week or so before you boil them. I used to do this with store bought eggs too, because where I used to live often the store eggs were very fresh.

We add salt to the water and the shells peel right off. I have not boiled eggs in a while so I can't remember exactly how much, but I found that trick here on BYC, so I'm sure a thread search could pull up the amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom