Difficulties of Peeling Homegrown Boiled Eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chickengirl2013, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickengirl2013

chickengirl2013 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2013
    Loganville, Georgia
    Since we are getting over three dozen eggs per week from our chickens, we are eating a lot more stuffed eggs (deviled eggs), boiled eggs, and other eggy foods. One thing that we have been noticing is that peeling a boiled egg from the store and peeling a boiled egg from the farm are two different ballgames. When ever we boil eggs, we always add salt to the water in order to make peeling easier and to avoid the annoying sticking to the shell. This has always worked well with eggs that we buy from the store. However, we still do the same trick with our home-grown eggs and they stick to the shells something terrible. Is there any remedy or trick that yall use to make the shell not stick to the egg white?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Let them age on the counter for a week before boiling.

Its a freshness issue. I have tried every trick I have ever found an nothing but aging them has worked so far.

3. chickengirl2013

chickengirl2013 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2013
    Loganville, Georgia
    Yeah, that's what I figured.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I actually spent several weeks last year boiling my fresh eggs every night. I tried every way I could find. They all failed an all I got was me being sick of eating eggs for a while.

I have seen lots of people that say they know how but wont tell, an others that when they do you find out that fresh to them is just home from the store.

If I find any new ideas I am still willing to try though.

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    One trick my mother read somewhere and told me about... use a spoon. When you crack the egg, slide the spoon under the shell with the bowl part of the spoon like it's cupping the egg and slide the spoon around between the shell and the egg. It's kinda hard to describe... It might take a little practice, but it works!

6. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    crack the shell after they are boiled and put them in cold water. You can poke a hole in the shell before you boil them with a pin that helps.

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Tap egg on counter/edge of sink/etc. to introduce slight-superficial fractures in shell prior to placing in cold water. Bring up heat, slowly, to a boil. ~90% of just out of nest eggs will peel cleanly after cooking. (got sick of deviled eggs that first summer with chooks).

There are as many methods as there are chickeneers

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I start all my eggs in cold water, bring them to a boil. Let them boil for four minutes and then take them of the heat and out on the lid. I let them sit for at least 15 minutes. Then I drain them . After that I grab a handful of ice cubes or two and throw them over the eggs and add cold water. Had worked for me so far.

9. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    There are lots of tricks to peeling hard boiled eggs none of which I can ever remember when I need to. The simplest one is to just let the eggs age a week or so before you boil them. I used to do this with store bought eggs too, because where I used to live often the store eggs were very fresh.

10. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    We add salt to the water and the shells peel right off. I have not boiled eggs in a while so I can't remember exactly how much, but I found that trick here on BYC, so I'm sure a thread search could pull up the amount.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by