Difficulty integrating two sets of chicks, one set has a cockerel - which is the issue

carlaashdown

Songster
Jul 9, 2021
SE Georgia, USA
Will try to make this as short as possible.

I have two sets of chicks that I will be integrating into an existing flock of 16 hens, but first need to integrate the two sets of chicks together….and I am having issues I didn’t anticipate.

The two sets of chicks are:

Set 1 is four pullets - about 8.5 weeks - came from Tractor Supply
Set 2 is three RIR pullets and one cockerel - just now 6 weeks old - came from a local farm.

They have been together, but separated by a cage wire for 4 weeks. (I had them separated at first due to the second set coming from a farm and not a hatchery). During the day, they are in a 10x10 pen. Set 1 runs free inside the run. Set 2 are in a smaller wire run inside the larger one. I can post pics of needed. At night, they go into the coop in separate large wire crates right next to each other. So they’ve had “look but don’t touch” for plenty of time.

A couple days ago, I started to attempt to integrate them under supervision. I was afraid the bigger ones would be bossy to the smaller ones, but I was wrong. The cockerel and one of the pullets in set 2 are attacking all of set 1. Like they will seek out set 1 aggressively.

The cockerel is fine with his little flock and is not aggressive at all to them. I did not expect this at all, although it may be normal. I am a long time chicken owner, but don’t have a lot of experience with roos. I’ve had them in the past, but never an integrating situation such as this. I intentionally picked a cockerel chick, so I am hoping to work this out peacefully. I had a roo once that was aggressive to the hens and hurt a couple girls, I can’t have that again.

Suggestions?

*Updated this post to include pics. They are in the 10x10 end section to the far right. Overall coop picture, an overall of the are they are in, and a closer pic to show size of chicks.

Attachments

• FEB6AB90-219D-4836-859B-2658110F5CF9.jpeg
    FEB6AB90-219D-4836-859B-2658110F5CF9.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 77
  • 71689197-8378-4C16-B779-3FC61F9BB09E.jpeg
    71689197-8378-4C16-B779-3FC61F9BB09E.jpeg
    959.8 KB · Views: 11
  • E661C5A5-1206-43E6-BE15-2B410CA2E5F6.jpeg
    E661C5A5-1206-43E6-BE15-2B410CA2E5F6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
You are probably dealing more with individual and breed personalities than cockeral issues. I have had cockerals this young show dominance, but more against other cockerals than pullets. When integrating birds it is important to provide hiding places and clutter to block sight lines. When putting smaller birds with larger birds provide places only the littles can go. (Guess that doesn't work in this situation but might help when placed with the adults) . What types of behavior are you seeing? Some peeking might be necessary for them to work out their own order, but the less dominant birds need to be able to retreat.

You are probably dealing more with individual and breed personalities than cockeral issues. I have had cockerals this young show dominance, but more against other cockerals than pullets. When integrating birds it is important to provide hiding places and clutter to block sight lines. When putting smaller birds with larger birds provide places only the littles can go. (Guess that doesn't work in this situation but might help when placed with the adults) . What types of behavior are you seeing? Some peeking might be necessary for them to work out their own order, but the less dominant birds need to be able to retreat.
Thank you for replying.

So you’re saying it could be the RIR personality and not necessarily the cockerel? That’s possible too, I guess, although he is the one chasing the other chicks down and pecking excessively.

I was hoping for some tips on how to curb his behavior.

As a long time chicken owner, I’ve successfully integrated many chicks and adult birds. I add clutter and hiding places for them, multiple feed and water stations, a chick-only feed and water station that the big chickens can’t get to, places for the chicks to rest without being bothered by the big chickens, etc. I will do something similar in this chick run and see if that helps. I wish I could create a separate coop and run for the RIRs but we have another big project going on, so it’s not a possibility right now.

Back
Top Bottom