Dig Proof Run??

drdoolittle

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 30, 2010
NE Indiana
Hey! We ate moving our flock out OF their current coop (which is the back half of our mini barn) into a playhouse we are making into a coop.
The chickens are currently allowed to "free-range" in our 100' × 100' animal enclosure. Theiy will have 2 runs once in the new coop----a 10' × 10' chainlink dog kennel with a fenced top and a bigger run (size still to be determined) that is farm fence/t posts and not covered. They will have access to the dog kennel 24/7 and access to the larger run during daytime.
My question, since I've had raccoons dig under the frame of the dog kennel (when I used it for a shelter for barn cats) is this, will setting the entire dog kennel on paving stones all around the perimeter keep raccoons from digging under?

Hey! We ate moving our flock out OF their current coop (which is the back half of our mini barn) into a playhouse we are making into a coop.
The chickens are currently allowed to "free-range" in our 100' × 100' animal enclosure. Theiy will have 2 runs once in the new coop----a 10' × 10' chainlink dog kennel with a fenced top and a bigger run (size still to be determined) that is farm fence/t posts and not covered. They will have access to the dog kennel 24/7 and access to the larger run during daytime.
My question, since I've had raccoons dig under the frame of the dog kennel (when I used it for a shelter for barn cats) is this, will setting the entire dog kennel on paving stones all around the perimeter keep raccoons from digging under?
That would help somewhat with raccoons, however, the size and gauge of your fence wire will determine what predators might get in. A raccoon can reach in and grab a chicken and kill it easily in as small as 1" x 1" wire. Also, just because you haven't seen any other predators yet, they are most likely out there and haven't picked up the chicken buffet aroma yet. Also, you didn't mention how many chickens you have. A 10' x 10' run is not a lot of space.

Electric wire around the perimeter will help. Here we have everything that likes chickens mostly coyotes. They know the electric wire is there.
DSCF000278 05Rev.jpg
DSCF000372 01.jpg

They'll just dig under the pavers. Electricity is an option, or a well installed wire apron, at least 2' out on ground level (for easy install or rocky terrains) or partially buried if you want extra security.

That would help somewhat with raccoons, however, the size and gauge of your fence wire will determine what predators might get in. A raccoon can reach in and grab a chicken and kill it easily in as small as 1" x 1" wire. Also, just because you haven't seen any other predators yet, they are most likely out there and haven't picked up the chicken buffet aroma yet. Also, you didn't mention how many chickens you have. A 10' x 10' run is not a lot of space.

The 10'×10' run is only for when we are gone and can't be home to close them in. They will have a MUCH larger run for everyday use that is not covered and will be in the coop/covered run at night. We currently have 46 chickens but I would like to sell most of them and only keep 12 or less.

I just want to add that there will be very few days the chickens will only have access to the 10x10 run. Also, for winter, I have heavy duty tarps to completely cover the 10x10 run to give them extra space when it's too nasty to go outdoors.
The new coop is 6'×16'......the coop they are currently in is 8'×16' and in spite of the number of chickens, they do well. That's with long days of access to our huge animal enclosure.
I am thinking of selling some of the chickens, but have a difficult time choosing which to keep. I care deeply for every one of them.

Back
Top Bottom