oldhenlikesdogs

Hope Springs Eternal
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
A 4 year old bantam rooster recently hasn't been looking good. He's lost his color on his face, he's now orange instead of the healthy red, his pupils are dilated and don't seem to change, though he still can see me coming and runs a bit. He's also not eating so getting light, and an empty crop.

I guess I'm just looking for reasons for the dilated pupils. Mareks comes to mind but there's no graying of the iris. Thanks for any thoughts.

Cataracts or other types of blindness can cause dilated or large pupils. Are the pupils round or is there any cloudiness to them. Orange skin sounds a bit like liver failure or a bile duct blockage. Can you post pictures easily (I am hampered doing pics on computers very easily due to being inept.) I would think that visual loss would make it hard to get enough food, or he may just have no appetite from his illness. I would probably add some vitamins to his water, since thiamine sometimes helps appetite. Will he take any egg or wet chicken feed? I hope it is not Mareks, since there seem to be a lot of things that can mimic it.

I saw the pictures you posted.

Last edited:
Cataracts or other types of blindness can cause dilated or large pupils. Are the pupils round or is there any cloudiness to them. Orange skin sounds a bit like liver failure or a bile duct blockage. Can you post pictures easily (I am hampered doing pics on computers very easily due to being inept.) I would think that visual loss would make it hard to get enough food, or he may just have no appetite from his illness. I would probably add some vitamins to his water, since thiamine sometimes helps appetite. Will he take any egg or wet chicken feed? I hope it is not Mareks, since there seem to be a lot of things that can mimic it.
I will go out and mix up some wet feed and see if he's interested. There's no cloudiness to his eyes. I'm unsure if his eyes have been like this longer as I only noticed them when I saw him all orange 2 days ago. That's when I started to get a better look at him. He's always been feisty. He won't be happy with me messing with him again, but at least he can't run very fast right now to get away.

Since I bought an adapter for my camera cord I am more easily able to get and post pictures now. Before I had to use the laptop, than the cloud, than to the kindle, it was a day long experience. I did add pictures in case you missed that.

Has he been hanging around sketchy friends as of late? That might explain the dilated pupils......... or he could be hanging around the garden pecking too much fertilizer pebbles.

Back
Top Bottom