Dilemma....Help Please, Suspected Botulism

Same as Miss Lydia, consider the flush, I believe molasses can be used for a flush and it has calories as well. I would alternate flush with charcoal.

hugs.gif

Believe me, I thought about doing a flush on her as well, but by now, if I'm right about it being botulism, it's already too late for that. Any of the poisons are already systemic and she does have the charcoal coming out now and is holding her head up a lot of the time now. Still not vocal or trying to get away too much, but a lot better. She gets her next dosing at 8pm. I'll weigh her and see what we get and report back.

Believe me, I thought about doing a flush on her as well, but by now, if I'm right about it being botulism, it's already too late for that. Any of the poisons are already systemic and she does have the charcoal coming out now and is holding her head up a lot of the time now. Still not vocal or trying to get away too much, but a lot better. She gets her next dosing at 8pm. I'll weigh her and see what we get and report back.
Sounds like progress!!

Just read this and I wanted to say that I am hoping she pulls through. You are doing an incredible job with all that you are trying.
hugs.gif

Hey dido the post above me and I give the best of wishes to you and Beatrice. You sound like a very duck-smart person and if anyone could fix your duck it would be you, Aminga, and Miss Lydia! You three keep thinking and my prayers go out to little Beatrice.
I will keep following this thread to stay posted on her situation, wheather it gets better or worse you will know I'm here.
hugs.gif

You sound like your doing great with her and I hope you efforts pay off!
fl.gif

yeah, yeah, lol. Morning update: Bea is talking softly to me and shying away when we walk past her tote, she is picking at her food and holding her head upright! Can I get a HALLELUJAH here? I know we aren't out of the woods yet, but this is promising. I am going to be mixing up another Cipro and giving her the dosage. And I think it's safe to share it with everyone who may find themselves in the same boat as it seems to be working.

One Cipro 500mg, crushed fine, add 15ml of bottled water, DO NOT USE TAP WATER! There are minerals in this water that would/could make the stability of the drug go south. Don't do it! From this solution, which needs to be kept in an airtight and dark container, extract 1ml and administer. I am getting the syringe as far down the right side of the throat as I feel I safely can as this stuff is nasty and bitter and the duck doesn't like it. I also give her water immediately after to wash any taste out. I am going to give this today and probably tommorow as well. A total of 4 days [or in my case 5 doses as we lost power and I couldn't give one]. Here is the info on dosing with Baytril.
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart/baytril-for-birds

I am someone who reaches for Duramycin-10 when anything looks like it may be brewing in one of my animals. I really do not like the idea of using the hardcore drugs. Botulism is something out of the norm though and I didn't hesitate to go that route when Casportpony told me to use that in a PM. I am just thankful that this bird had never had this drug before [she in fact has never had anything except niacin], because it may not have worked otherwise. I would caution anyone who thinks of using this for the simple things like MG, IB, Coryza, please don't do this. You are setting your birds up for failure later on. If you insist on using the 'big guns' now, you will have nothing to fall back on when and if you really need it and could in fact have to watch a favorite bird die. Think of it this way, you go to a doctor with a headache, they don't give you morphine, they tell you to go home and take asprin or tylenol. Doctors save the hardcore for more serious situations. Same thing here.

yeah, yeah, lol. Morning update: Bea is talking softly to me and shying away when we walk past her tote, she is picking at her food and holding her head upright! Can I get a HALLELUJAH here? I know we aren't out of the woods yet, but this is promising. I am going to be mixing up another Cipro and giving her the dosage. And I think it's safe to share it with everyone who may find themselves in the same boat as it seems to be working.

One Cipro 500mg, crushed fine, add 15ml of bottled water, DO NOT USE TAP WATER! There are minerals in this water that would/could make the stability of the drug go south. Don't do it! From this solution, which needs to be kept in an airtight and dark container, extract 1ml and administer. I am getting the syringe as far down the right side of the throat as I feel I safely can as this stuff is nasty and bitter and the duck doesn't like it. I also give her water immediately after to wash any taste out. I am going to give this today and probably tommorow as well. A total of 4 days [or in my case 5 doses as we lost power and I couldn't give one]. Here is the info on dosing with Baytril.
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart/baytril-for-birds

I am someone who reaches for Duramycin-10 when anything looks like it may be brewing in one of my animals. I really do not like the idea of using the hardcore drugs. Botulism is something out of the norm though and I didn't hesitate to go that route when Casportpony told me to use that in a PM. I am just thankful that this bird had never had this drug before [she in fact has never had anything except niacin], because it may not have worked otherwise. I would caution anyone who thinks of using this for the simple things like MG, IB, Coryza, please don't do this. You are setting your birds up for failure later on. If you insist on using the 'big guns' now, you will have nothing to fall back on when and if you really need it and could in fact have to watch a favorite bird die. Think of it this way, you go to a doctor with a headache, they don't give you morphine, they tell you to go home and take asprin or tylenol. Doctors save the hardcore for more serious situations. Same thing here.
Hallelujah!!!! great news.. . now you are giving Cipro right but you give link to Baytril are these the same drugs just different names?

Back
Top Bottom