Direct dosing doxycycline fish powder? Help she’s dying.

Ivermectin 1% comes in an eye dropper where i live and the dosage is measure in drops. You are trying to say 0.05 mL where most people dont have a ml measure for 0.05. It is certainly posted on labels how many drops to give and comes in a bottle similar to medical eye drops.

There was an ivermectin paste question the other day that had a 5% concentration.

I dont use it much, but it is very heavily overdosed by people trying to use mL. The dosage of 1 drop evem works becaise of how the drug spreads in the metabolism.
By the way. My grandparents NEVER fretted this much about their backyard chickens. I bet people in Peru are low stress chicken keepers.

Ivermectin 1% comes in an eye dropper where i live and the dosage is measure in drops. You are trying to say 0.05 mL where most people dont have a ml measure for 0.05.
Here in the US, ivermectin comes in:
  • 1% liquid (10 mg/ml)
  • 0.05% pour-on liquid (5 mg/ml)
  • 1.87% paste (18.7 mg/ml)
  • 0.08% sheep drench
I agree that 0.05 ml per pound is impossible without a syringe, but syringes are easy to get here.
It is certainly posted on labels how many drops to give and comes in a bottle similar to medical eye drops.
Here in the US, I have never seen ivermectin labeled this way. :idunno

There was an ivermectin paste question the other day that had a 5% concentration.
Curiously, what thread was this? I've never heard of a 5% paste. Many people though, make the mistake of calling the pour-on 5%, but it's not, it's 0.5%

By the way. My grandparents NEVER fretted this much about their backyard chickens. I bet people in Peru are low stress chicken keepers.

I mean you are trying to save her life, I cant help myself from stressing out too when they are sick. I treat five sick chickens a day, and they all over the house and even laying eggs in my bed because I have too many lol.

I think you are set with the ivermectin and corid instructions you said.

The antibiotic, it would be best to give the medicine as (i think) eggcessive said. But I tried to explain that is how it should be, but you said you already put 500 mg into a gallon. I keep some antibiotics refrigerated to preserve them, but I dont think it will spoil in the water it is designed for fish water right?

A full dose of the powder in smaller amount of water is how the medicine is designed to work, its called immediate release and the powder you have is designed for immediate release a single dose. If you give the dose eggcessive said, it would be 2x per day 10 mg. There isnt a correct length of time published.

The way you set it up in the water (500mg in a gallon given all day) is called sustained release. Corid has to be given through sustained release and the fresh water has to be removed so the corid is delivered properly. But it really wouldnt hurt to give your antibiotic that way, but it is not per the instructions, more difficult, and prone to error in the dosage.

Wow thank
I mean you are trying to save her life, I cant help myself from stressing out too when they are sick. I treat five sick chickens a day, and they all over the house and even laying eggs in my bed because I have too many lol.

I think you are set with the ivermectin and corid instructions you said.

The antibiotic, it would be best to give the medicine as (i think) eggcessive said. But I tried to explain that is how it should be, but you said you already put 500 mg into a gallon. I keep some antibiotics refrigerated to preserve them, but I dont think it will spoil in the water it is designed for fish water right?

A full dose of the powder in smaller amount of water is how the medicine is designed to work, its called immediate release and the powder you have is designed for immediate release a single dose. If you give the dose eggcessive said, it would be 2x per day 10 mg. There isnt a correct length of time published.

The way you set it up in the water (500mg in a gallon given all day) is called sustained release. Corid has to be given through sustained release and the fresh water has to be removed so the corid is delivered properly. But it really wouldnt hurt to give your antibiotic that way, but it is not per the instructions, more difficult, and prone to error in the dosage.
oh you get me! I ditched the doxy water because I finally got instructions for direct dosing. Yes. I’m going to dose as Eggsessive suggested, already started. I have her personal water corid treated (fresh mix daily) and already did 3/4 drops ivermectin. Thumbs up? We do ivermectin one time right? She didn’t eat today but drank a ton. She has the strength to sit on her perch. (She is near one) I actually prayed like a stone cold crazy chicken lady for her. Will report back in morning. P.s they sleep in my room.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 3
She is much better today. Stayed erect on her perch all night. Woke up unenergetic. I force fed her a tablespoon of cheesy rice and scrambled egg this morning and gave her doxy, 10 mg. A calcium pill (underlying shell failure) , . She drank Corid water for about 10 minutes and slept. She woke up and drank more about noon, I gave force fed her a couple more bites, she asked to go outside. We put only Corid water out (everybody has to drink it if she’s out foraging), and she is eating a fresh corn on the cob a few pecks at a time on her own and scratching lightly and sunbathing with everybody else under the pomegranate tree. Moving little slow. WAY BETTER. Still little weak. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

I’m in Riverside Southern California. I give them regular laying pellets from a reputable feed store, from about 12 weeks on. They free range on my property. It’s quite verdant here (water bill is sickening) the calcium treatment is a tablet down the hatch. If she doesn’t die I will do that for two weeks. Other chooks are fine and laying swell. I put out oyster shells three days ago.
12 weeks is way too early to begin layer feed. One of her problems could easily be kidney damage. Chickens have two kidneys, each with 3 segments. When consuming excess calcium, segments begin to either swell or atrophy. In either case, they are no longer functioning. As long as there are still 2 functioning segments a chicken will act normal and hens can continue to lay eggs. Once one of the last two segments fails, they can die within 24 hours, sometimes with no symptoms.
This may be why she seems to be drinking a lot.

I bet she has cocci I would give her corid
Very unlikely it is coccidiosis. Cocci is any spherical shaped bacterium. Coccidia is the protozoa that causes coccidiosis.
Of course you’re no trouble. Good to ask.

Personally I don’t think her feed is lacking calcium. So I wouldn’t give extra crumbled tablets in the feed. But something on the side is never harmful.

Good luck with the Corid. I doubt if coccidiosis is the problem. Imo it could be just as well be a malfunctioning egg factory caused by a virus or other unknown reason.

Better not use Corid or dewormer with other medicines at the same time. Just one at a time. And give it time to do its job and let her recover from the medicins before trying something else.
I concur on all points.
I wouldn't add calcium either. The feed is already 4% calcium.
There needs to be a delicate balance of calcium to phosphorus to D3 for eggshell quality. The proper ratios are in layer feed. Excessive calcium above that ratio can actually manifest in inferior eggshells or even soft shells.
I too would give any calcium supplement (oyster shell) in a separate dish. Definitely not mixed in feed.
I also wouldn't give Corid. A hen that age and has been on the same property all this time has long developed resistance to the species of coccidia on the property.

Some older chickens can still have coccidiosis, especially if weakened or having immunity problems. A fecal float by a vet could rule it out, along with worms. Her poop looks suspicious, so the Corid is probably not a problem. Since she has been laying soft eggs all of her laying time, it may be another problem with her oviduct, but I would give the calcium (calcium with D3) for several days to see if it makes a difference. If not, then discontinue it if she is eating layer.

I do agree that chickens should not eat layer feed until about 20 weeks or when they start to lay. An alternative is to feed all flock/flock raiser feed with a separate container of crushed oyster shell available. I would also discard any of her eggs for a month after treatment with doxy. I think most other tetracyclines will remain in eggs for 21 days.

12 weeks is way too early to begin layer feed. One of her problems could easily be kidney damage. Chickens have two kidneys, each with 3 segments. When consuming excess calcium, segments begin to either swell or atrophy. In either case, they are no longer functioning. As long as there are still 2 functioning segments a chicken will act normal and hens can continue to lay eggs. Once one of the last two segments fails, they can die within 24 hours, sometimes with no symptoms.
This may be why she seems to be drinking a lot.

Very unlikely it is coccidiosis. Cocci is any spherical shaped bacterium. Coccidia is the protozoa that causes coccidiosis.

I concur on all points.
I wouldn't add calcium either. The feed is already 4% calcium.
There needs to be a delicate balance of calcium to phosphorus to D3 for eggshell quality. The proper ratios are in layer feed. Excessive calcium above that ratio can actually manifest in inferior eggshells or even soft shells.
I too would give any calcium supplement (oyster shell) in a separate dish. Definitely not mixed in feed.
I also wouldn't give Corid. A hen that age and has been on the same property all this time has long developed resistance to the species of coccidia on the property.
Thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom