dirty vent area

Chicken Outlaw

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
Cushing, Okla.
We were given a hen whose rear end looked dirty, did some research, cleaned her up the best I could (soaked her rear in in soapy water with a little epsom salt) & put some antifungal cream on (2 kinds). Here's a pic from a few minutes ago ... her feathers are still wet from bath & that white glob is some of the cream I put on her. She didn't smell, I didn't smell anything ... could she have just had diarrhea. Also it looks like to me & I don't know anything ... she may have torn back there at some point ... all healed now, though. She is swollen back there.
She has laid an egg & it was clean & pretty.

She may just have dried poop on her, as I have a couple of hens who do while 95% of the others do not. A picture the next time you clean her and dry her bottom would be good to post, since vent gleet usually has reddened area with white or yellow patches that don't come off. If your farm store has a product called Nustock, it is very good to use for gleet. It is sulfur-based and very good to use on a variety of chicken ailments (see The Natural Chicken Keeping Thread.) Trim the feathers that have been getting soiled around her vent, too. Watch for a prolapsed vent also, which can happen after she lays an egg. The inside would be kind of "pooched out" and it needs to be pushed back in gently so it doesn't get stuck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom