Disabled chicken keepers

boskelli1571

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Finger Lakes, NY
Hello everyone,
My name is Sue and I research and blog for another chicken web site. I am looking to do an article on disabled folks who keep chickens.
Specifically looking for how you accommodate your disability, ideas to help others, have your birds been your therapy etc. You get the idea :)
If you prefer to pm me that's fine, but I think your ideas may help some others who need some encouragement.
Thanks in advance, Sue

Hi sue... Not quite disabled completely yet but I get about with a walker that has wheels. At one point I had Thirty chickens four goats and one horse... Still have the horse. But I had to move in with my 101 year old grandmother to take care of her.

When I go back I will be rebuilding My coop and turning it into a poultry house. With aisles and wheel chair access.

flipped big coop 6.jpg

LOL and yes I am dreaming to think the Guineas will use a nest..... :gig The image I have here does not show the wheel chair... but each of the doors to the individual partitions are wide enough... the big door is for loading supplies from the pick up it has a wheel chair acessible door in it as well.

I have all the components to build this... With the exception of the roll out nests... . Because of my arthritis and balance issues I will have to have someone build the roof for me. But the rest I will build myself... All dog kennel panels.

deb

Hello everyone,
My name is Sue and I research and blog for another chicken web site. I am looking to do an article on disabled folks who keep chickens.
Specifically looking for how you accommodate your disability, ideas to help others, have your birds been your therapy etc. You get the idea :)
If you prefer to pm me that's fine, but I think your ideas may help some others who need some encouragement. Thanks in advance, Sue
This isn’t a disability per say, but I have pretty severe anxiety and am prone to having anxiety and panic attacks. When I had chickens last year they helped me get through my panic and anxiety attacks. I have since been forced to rehome my first flock, but I’m getting more chickens this March. I am getting 2 sebright bantam cockerels that will be solely therapy chickens. I have spoken at length with my psychologist and she agrees that having chickens is helping me with my anxiety and panic attacks. I feel safe when I’m holding my chickens and petting them really helps me calm down. Hope this helps you out Sue.:hugs

This isn’t a disability per say, but I have pretty severe anxiety and am prone to having anxiety and panic attacks. When I had chickens last year they helped me get through my panic and anxiety attacks. I have since been forced to rehome my first flock, but I’m getting more chickens this March. I am getting 2 sebright bantam cockerels that will be solely therapy chickens. I have spoken at length with my psychologist and she agrees that having chickens is helping me with my anxiety and panic attacks. I feel safe when I’m holding my chickens and petting them really helps me calm down. Hope this helps you out Sue.:hugs
It is a disability.... My son and I both have anxiety issues... Mom had panic attacks so bad that she couldnt leave the house except with my dad...

I am going through some stuff right now and Anxiety medication is getting me through it. Botth for depression and anxiety.

Animal husbandry helps all sorts of problems... My son just graduated college when he was in highschool he would melt down getting out of the car... We put him in a different school where he could pace him self and get one on one time with the teacher. In College he applied for disability in order to have more time to take tests and or doing the tests in a seprate class room.

hang in there... it will get better as you sort it all out for yoursefl

Hi sue... Not quite disabled completely yet but I get about with a walker that has wheels. At one point I had Thirty chickens four goats and one horse... Still have the horse. But I had to move in with my 101 year old grandmother to take care of her.

When I go back I will be rebuilding My coop and turning it into a poultry house. With aisles and wheel chair access.

View attachment 1237936

LOL and yes I am dreaming to think the Guineas will use a nest..... :gig The image I have here does not show the wheel chair... but each of the doors to the individual partitions are wide enough... the big door is for loading supplies from the pick up it has a wheel chair acessible door in it as well.

I have all the components to build this... With the exception of the roll out nests... . Because of my arthritis and balance issues I will have to have someone build the roof for me. But the rest I will build myself... All dog kennel panels.

deb
Thanks for your quick reply Deb :). I love your plan - may I put it into the piece I'm writing (with credit of course)?
I assume you would have someone doing the 'mucking out' for you and any heavy/difficult lifting?

View attachment 1237936

deb
Thanks for the quick reply Deb.:) I love your plan - may I include it in the article (with credits of course)? I assume you would have someone help you with 'mucking out' and the heavy/difficult things such as lifting etc.?

Back
Top Bottom