Disappointing Turkey

I think it depends on how they are killed. If they are shocked before the cutting, all muscle action is sent into over drive and everything is used up before death. Grab onto an electric fence and see what I mean. There is no muscle control for a couple of mins. after you're shocked. Only thing I can think of.

electrocution may have it's benefits. I've never tried it personally.. so I can't say for sure. For those who take their birds out to be processed.. do they get them back the same day? If they do then the slaughterhouse may electrocute them.. especially if they are set up to process poultry.
If it takes a couple of days for them to get the birds back once they drop them off.. then I am willing to bet the butcher lets them rest in the cooler before sending them home

Last edited:
Ok.. for the ones wondering about electrocution. I found a study there they tested it on rats : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3192134

they state: "Our experiments showed that: (1) Electrocution hastens the onset of rigor mortis. After an electrocution of 90 s, a complete rigor develops already 1 h post-mortem (p.m.) compared to 5 h p.m. for the controls. (2) Electrocution hastens the passing of rigor mortis. After an electrocution of 90 s, the first significant decrease occurs at 3 h p.m. (8 h p.m. in the controls)."

And then I found this (directly related to poultry and not rats.. lol) : http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/134066

it's about Benjamin Franklin using electricity to butcher turkeys (and it's a cute read for anyone looking for a chuckle) But towards the end it states : "In 1751, Franklin released his book Experiments and Observations on Electricity. In the Appendix, someone added all the embarrassing details of Franklin’s party-fail. The book fell into the hands of some savvy French chefs, who realized Franklin had accidentally discovered a way to tenderize meat: a strong electrical charge inhibits the effects of rigor mortis, making meat softer. Electricity has been used to preserve and tenderize meat products ever since."

so there ya go...

Last edited:
I process my birds a full week before eating or freezing. I brine them for 2 days prior to cooking. The only time I've had a tough bird, was when I did not let it rest long enough before eating.

Ok.. for the ones wondering about electrocution. I found a study there they tested it on rats : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3192134

they state: "Our experiments showed that: (1) Electrocution hastens the onset of rigor mortis. After an electrocution of 90 s, a complete rigor develops already 1 h post-mortem (p.m.) compared to 5 h p.m. for the controls. (2) Electrocution hastens the passing of rigor mortis. After an electrocution of 90 s, the first significant decrease occurs at 3 h p.m. (8 h p.m. in the controls)."

And then I found this (directly related to poultry and not rats.. lol) : http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/134066

it's about Benjamin Franklin using electricity to butcher turkeys (and it's a cute read for anyone looking for a chuckle) But towards the end it states : "In 1751, Franklin released his book Experiments and Observations on Electricity. In the Appendix, someone added all the embarrassing details of Franklin’s party-fail. The book fell into the hands of some savvy French chefs, who realized Franklin had accidentally discovered a way to tenderize meat: a strong electrical charge inhibits the effects of rigor mortis, making meat softer. Electricity has been used to preserve and tenderize meat products ever since."

so there ya go...
Funny.....I was guessing, lol. Truth though, you get a poke from an electric fence or from anything else for that matter and it does mess with your muscle functions for a while after. I know this first hand, I learned, last winter, you do not throw water from a bucket in the general direction of an electric fence if it is on. It will knock you flat on your back and leave you there for a bit, while your pigs look down at you with wonder and anticipation.

I think its more about the speed of the processors than the method used to process them that will play into it. The processors are going to make their $ by volume so the faster they work the more birds they can get done. Decapitating would go MUCH faster than electricity. Plus it would be cheaper too.

Rigor is a natural process and I don't think we're going to get around it. Just let them rest for the suggested times and be done with it.

Last edited:
How was he slaughtered? Stress can ruin meat. Also, MW won't look like a fat butterball. They should, however, have superior flavor. I roast ours in the oven after they have sat in brine for a few days. Cooking them breast side DOWN lightly covered with foil for 2/3 of the cooking time will keep moisture in the white meat. Use a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh to judge cooking time. Another thing to remember is that MW are slow to mature. If they are butchered too young then they are still growing bone and haven't finished laying down all their muscle yet.

How was he slaughtered? Stress can ruin meat.

We are head choppers here. He was the first bird done. He was in a small pen, so no chasing and he was simply picked up and calmly carried to the chopping block. He never saw it coming. I've butchered hundreds of birds that way and never had any problems with the meat. He rested for over 48 hours and joints moved easily, so rigor appeared to have passed. But next one I will let it rest longer. Maybe 2 days is not enough.

He was definitely too young, but I wanted to serve him for dinner and I had no reason to keep him around. I only bought him because my BBW was laying eggs and I hoped to get some fertilized eggs. But either he was not as old as claimed or he was a dud because he had no interest. There was no reason to keep him after the BBW was butchered, so he got butchered at the same time..

I've got quite a nice little Midget White tom. He's still a baby, but very promising. So that one is my keeper and I didn't have a place in the flock for the other one.

We processed 6 Midget white toms at 6 months old, and so far we have eaten 3 of those, and they are delicious. Very meatty, moist & tasty. We butchered, and froze them the same day, but thawed them out for 5 days in the fridge before marinating/brineing and cooking.

Last edited:
I agree, also if the breast was lacking density.
It may have been a bit under weight,
Try to get the bird to weigh at least 10 pounds live weight.
Check the breast before slaughter. This is done by catching the turkey once a week and gently pinching the breast skin.
The skin should have a little layer or thickness or fat. If it is thin, then you need to give it some more time to grow.

just my .02

Back
Top Bottom