Disclosure on egg carton's?

astormygirl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
My dad asked me if I put a disclosure on my eggs that I sell so I will not get sued if someone gets sick. I have never had a problem with anyone getting sick.
Is this a concern for anyone or is my dad just silly?

WARNING:
These eggs are fresh. They are not the 3-month-old eggs you purchase from the grocery store.
These eggs contain a higher nutritional value than store-bought eggs, so you may experience better health. Eat with caution.

big_smile.png

I don't know.
I used to write "please wash before eating" on the boxes. I dry clean the eggs on account of the protective bloom being removed by washing (if messy, I give to the cats or dog or used for snake-away). My husband worried about the same thing. Those who want our eggs know why they want them and laughed at his concerns. Perhaps that would be a good idea if complete strangers bought them.

When I started giving eggs to my contractor, I carefully explained I do not wash my flock's eggs, and what to do (wash with warm water, not cold, just before using, if so desired) if an egg's non-pristine appearance bothered him.

He looked from the open (recycled) carton of colorful eggs to my face and said simply, "I don't eat the shells."

But for general sales, I am considering getting some new cartons of my own with the generic care and nutrition information printed on them. They're available at various places, but I'm considering www.egg cartons.com

Check with your state's Department of Agriculture. Here in Ohio, there are very specific things that legally must be and cannot be on egg cartons. For example, I am not allowed to use the words "farm fresh." Only the big layer houses can use those words.
he.gif

We wash ours with a chlorinated egg soap, though. Since we sell through a grocery store to people I don't know, I'm not messing around. I also have quite a large insurance rider on my homeowner's policy, just in case. You can also protect yourself somewhat by forming a LLC and having an actual business.

I personally wouldn't put disclaimers on the carton. An attorney at an organization had some horror stories that convinced me that they were bad news--people used the disclaimers as evidence that the person knew there was risk, and won the lawsuit.

Last edited:
Thanks! I always tell people to wash before eating. The local feed store sells them without disclosures so I guess I will just keep on. We have around 60 birds and I pretty much keep friends and family stocked well. Only a few outside customers.
That is crazy scary about disclosures being used against you. Thanks so much for the information!

I don't know.
I used to write "please wash before eating" on the boxes. I dry clean the eggs on account of the protective bloom being removed by washing (if messy, I give to the cats or dog or used for snake-away). My husband worried about the same thing. Those who want our eggs know why they want them and laughed at his concerns. Perhaps that would be a good idea if complete strangers bought them.
What do you mean you use the messy ones for "snake-away"? I've never heard of this. Thanks!

For years my mom has drizzled a mixture of raw egga and cruashed garlic thinned with water around her gardens to keep deer and rabbits out. One of the first ingredients in Snake Away (found at Home Depot or the like) is sulphur. In my mind, that translates to being like Mom's homemade version (hence the eggs). Therefore, I make "Snake Away" for our perimeter. Between that and the grace of God, we haven't had any rattle snakes in our animal pens or yard since. :)

For years my mom has drizzled a mixture of raw egga and cruashed garlic thinned with water around her gardens to keep deer and rabbits out. One of the first ingredients in Snake Away (found at Home Depot or the like) is sulphur. In my mind, that translates to being like Mom's homemade version (hence the eggs). Therefore, I make "Snake Away" for our perimeter. Between that and the grace of God, we haven't had any rattle snakes in our animal pens or yard since. :)

I"ll be darned. I hadn't ever heard of that. I would of never thought about it since snakes "like eggs". I will have to give it a try. Can you give me a 'recipe' so I know how much egg, garlic, water to mix together?

Thanks
Patti

Back
Top Bottom