Discount chickens?

I have several times in the past. I couldn't keep up last year, I had a lot of demand for chicks, pullets, and butchered chickens. By chance, I happened by rural king and was able to scoop up "discounted" chicks several times. They charged .50/ea or a HUGE deal for all of them. I bought them all, and was able to meet demand from my customers.

Our Rural King stores started keeping chicks year round about 2 years ago. They don't order as many during the fall/winter month but they still have them. Yesterday, there were ~50 silver lace wyandotts for .50/ea. I passed because I have ducks arriving next week and Cornish coming the week after.

was in TSC today, forced to buy a bale of compressed straw, no straw or hay available locally yet. Chick Days is seemingly already over in my neck of the woods. No hot boxes, no stock tanks, no chicks.

Looked like the area was being set up as a bar b q display.
Same here, no chicks at our store in Prescott, AZ, either. The local feed store is still selling them. Not at a discount, though. There are some local breeders who advertise on CL that are still selling chicks. Right now is the best time to brood chicks here, 50's at night and 80's in the daytime. I suspect that the chicks might not have been selling as well as last year so TSC quit carrying them when demand slacked off.

Back
Top Bottom