Discuss egg buying on BYC versus Ebay

I use the biggest box that you can get for free from USPS online. (You can only pack up to a 18 pack in it safely). Then I write on each side in big red letters hatching eggs with red arrows pointing up with the word up under them. I write fragile in big red letters on top and in black I write please dont't stack on top of this box! All red letters and arrows I outline in black! There is no doubt that anyone who touches the box knows that it's hatching eggs! No scribbly quickly written words that can hardly been seen on my packages! I wrap each egg in a Bounty paper towel and tape the towel shut, placing the egg pointed end down in a carton. Then I tape the carton shut and put the address of the buyer on it. I place the carton at an angle in the box with lots of shredded paper. Sometimes bubble wrap, or styrofoam, or peanuts, or wadded newspaper or a combination of several.
big_smile.png
I haven't had any broken eggs! I always try to send plenty of extras just in case. Trying to make sure that they will have a hatch that equals the amount of eggs they were buying.

I believe the box being so well marked helps! I haven't heard of any of my boxes being banged up. For that matter I traded eggs with a girl on here, she sent me her eggs in the box I sent her and then I reused the box to send eggs to a buyer. Needless to say she wants to trade again come spring which makes me happy. She told me she had a great hatch. I really think postal employees handle the boxes with care when it's obvious that they have hatching eggs in them.

I've heard different stories on wrapping the eggs in bubble wrap. Some say the eggs can't breathe. I've found I have better hatches from eggs that are wrapped in paper towels than eggs wrapped in bubble wrap. I always reguest my eggs to be wrapped in paper towels. (Of course some people use cheap towels which really don't cushion the eggs very well but I use Bounty select a size and one sheet does a great job at cushioning the eggs in the carton.

I use the biggest box even if it's for less than a dozen eggs. Now if I have to send more than 18 I get a box from my local grocer. They save all the egg and milk jug boxes for the customers. They set them outside in a protected area. They are very heavy duty! People use them for moving and all sorts of stuff. A person can pack up to 3 dozen in them safely. Maybe even four. But all of I've packed in them is 3.

I just got ripped off from an Ebay seller on shipping too
somad.gif
I paid big money (around $16) and they came in the smallest box, no egg carton, wrapped only around the middle (ends left exposed). Least to say, 2 were broken - rotten also - and within 2 days, 4 others started seeping this yucky stuff. They looked iffy when I put them in the incubator so I really wasn't surprised. As of today, I pulled the remaining ones out - complete duds.

i hope you left negative feedback. i am now listing my byc name in all egg adds i have on ebay. i think every byc member who sells eggs on ebay should do the same...

So who wants to start the dedicated thread? Do we need moderator approval? I'm not really sure how these things works especially with a subject that could get touchy if someone decides to not play nice. I just really think it's a great idea to have a place to go and discuss the good...and the bad...experiences with sellers on here and Ebay. I personally do not always trust the feedback I see on Ebay. As I said in an earlier post, most people only want feedback about the shipping - how fast and how well packed. Unless people leave the follow up feedback (so glad I found that feature!) you never really know anything past the shipping which is all their feedback really reflects. You can't go back and change positive feedback so their rating stays positive. Plus I wonder just how many people really can be honest when they have a problem? The one time I had to leave negative feedback for a seller on BYC, it was hard! I felt really bad about it but tried to remember I was helping future buyers.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm leaving followup feedback today. As I just posted, you can't go back and change the initial feedback. It stays positive on her stats but if someone reads the feedback they will see what I write. And I totally agree...it's nice to see feedback on two sites. I give them my Ebay name too when I buy so they can see that I am a good buyer (and seller at one time).

Last edited:
thats right. i always ask the buyer to keep me informed from the time the eggs arrive all the way to hatch day. 8 out of 10 reply back, and several contiue to chat along and send me pics monthly of the chicks. its realy nice to see what your flock is reproducing, but not all go that far,just a hatch reply and thats it. but, thats ok.

I bought eggs from a BYC'er and 11/45 hatched - but I wasn't upset in the least because the lady didn't have any use for these eggs and said she'd just make me pay the shipping price.
smile.png

A friend of mine ordered 12+ Delaware eggs off of ebay and not one hatched.
hmm.png

You guys are killing me! I have 60 eggs in route purchased from ebay. I hope at least half hatch! Now I'm wondering if any will.

I checked the feedback of both sellers - both had 100% & both bragged about having no eggs broken during shipping.

So lets hope!

I checked here first - but didn't find the breeds I was interested in - thats when I went to ebay.

I ordered guinea eggs from an eBay seller last fall and had a great hatch--12 out of 15 eggs. Don't be discouraged. The eggs you purchased may hatch just fine.
wink.png

I have bought eggs from eBay only once but I have to say I had a really good experience with it. I won an auction for six eggs, she sent eight. One was cracked on arrival but the packaging was great, I can't fault the seller for it at all. Out of the seven I set, four made it to lock down. Three hatched out of that four and the fourth one was fully developed just never internally pipped so I figure I did something wrong on that fourth one. I think 50% fully developing is great for shipped eggs at the beginning of December. I wouldn't hesitate to buy eggs from her again. She communicated really well with me before, during and after the hatch. I wouldn't hesitate from buying eggs from many of the BYC'ers either. In fact I am planning on getting some from a fellow BYC'er for the Easter hatch. I guess you really just need to pay attention to the feedback from the buyers about packaging and is the seller sending the breeds that were bought. You have to use a little common sense and trust your gut. I felt really comfortable bidding because I contacted the seller before bidding.

Back
Top Bottom