Discussion: Where do you put your brooder, and why?

Pics
That's actually a nice question on which I have never given much thought about. I hatch my layer chicks under broody hens. However I do buy Cornish cross chicks for meat. I brood them in a sectioned off part of the coop where they spend rest of their short life. I do it perhaps for convenience sake. I can't think of anyother reason.

I keep atleast 24 different breeds of chicken. I highly recommend Rhode Island Red breed as your first flock.
Rhode Island Reds are synonymous with backyard chicken keeping and one of the most popular chicken breeds around.
They are friendly, easy to keep and very tough. Should produce upwards of 250, medium-sized, brown eggs per year.
Other breed that I would suggest is Barred Rock. Should produce 200, medium sized, brown eggs per year- they also lay during the winter. They are a very active bird who performs best as free-range and would make a perfect backyard chicken. They are also extremely friendly with humans so great if you want to train them to eat from your hand!

I personally don't like Orpingtons. They are bulky, food conversion ratio is low, not very active, they are vulnerable to predation, they can be very broody. However they are certainly not the worst breed that you can have, they sure look good.
Oh, no! :eek:
I adore our Orps! :lol: For production purposes I could see where you are coming from, but they are among our favorite hens in our backyard flock for their friendliness and personality. Our Speckled Sussex and Gold Laced Wyandotte are our very favorite hens - which I know goes against some other opinions of these breeds.

I adore our Orps! :lol: For production purposes I could see where you are coming from, but they are among our favorite hens in our backyard flock for their friendliness and personality. Our Speckled Sussex and Gold Laced Wyandotte are our very favorite hens - which I know goes against some other opinions of these breeds.

Well I have stated my reasons for not favoring Orpingtons. I think I differ in my outlook from other members of the group. While I do like my chickens, I have strong opinions when it comes to sustainability and profit.

However I too understand where you're coming from. I have my own favourites in the flock. For example I am a big fan of Aseel chickens, they are not the most productive birds in my flock, but I love them for their personality and exceptional mothering abilities. I also adore Speckled Sussex and Golden Laced Wyandottes.

In my opinion it is always best to first establish a flock and make it up and running and then add your favourites so that they don't become a liability. That's what I had in my mind when I suggested her to start with Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks.:)

Our Speckled Sussex are also our favorite hens! Speckled Sussex and Dominique. Our Gold Laced Wyandotte are pretty nice, too. The Buff Orpingtons aren't all that friendly. Least favorite are the Brown Leghorns (small, flighty, hides eggs) followed by the Jersey Giants (big appetite, medium eggs) and Cuckoo Marans (broody).

Last edited:
Our Speckled Sussex are also our favorite hens! Speckled Sussex and Dominique. Our Gold Laced Wyandotte are pretty nice, too. The Buff Orpingtons aren't all that friendly. Least favorite are the Brown Leghorns (small, flighty, hides eggs) followed by the Jersey Giants (big appetite, medium eggs) and Cuckoo Marans (broody).

We...have a lot of chickens.

I love Speckled Sussex, Golden Laced Wyandottes and Dominics too. I don't like Orpingtons either. I know Leghorns are flighty and unfriendly, but you can't doubt their egg production capabilities and food conversion ratio and their chicks sell easily and fetch fair price too. Jersey Giants are true gentle giants, while their food conversion ratio and egg production isn't that great, but they make the best capons and poulards that fetch high price in the market. Marans also fetch good price because of their egg color. I have all the above mentioned breeds except ofcourse the Orpingtons.

Remember one thing, wherever you put the brooder their will be chick fluff all over the place as they shed their down and get in their feathers. I keep mine in our garage.
IMG_3499.JPG

Back
Top Bottom