Disease problems with my younger flock

bigz1983

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 9, 2016
Michigan
Ok everyone I have 2 flocks of chickens and this is a long story.
Each flock is separated in different coops.
Flock 1 is a younger group all less than 18 weeks old with I believe a Mereks disease issue
Flock 2 is older group and doing fine. Had a issue with coccidia but cleared that up a while ago.

Ok so flock 1 has...
2 white leghorn pullets
2 Spanish Penadansea pullets
3 Pure bred Amerucana pullets
1 Pure bred Amerucana cockerel

This flock started out with 1 Pured Amerucana cockerel, 1 Purebred Blue Amerucana pullet and a Black Amerucana pullet that i got from a breeder and were raised by a broody barred rock hen.

After they got to about 8 weeks I separated them from the broody momma and put them in a big shed separated from my adult chicken group.
I decided I wanted to add more young chickens in with that group.
So I got 2 white leghorns, 2 Spanish Penadasneas, 1 black purebred Amerucana and 2 blue purebred Amerucanas from a different breeder that were the same age as the other group.

Ok so I put these 2 groups together and just a few days later the Amerucanas 2 started having issues and died.
One Amerucana got a twisted neck condition and died. Basically its neck paralyzed.
The other a blue Amerucana got a condition where its crop stopped functioning and plugged up. It couldn't process food and spewed brown gunk out.
Both were from the first group raised by the broody hen and both died.
Now I have a Black Amerucana pullet from the first group and she has the same crop issue and about to die.

The new group I got from the other breeder have had no issues.
If they brought mareks wouldn't it take more time for the symptoms to show on the old group?

So far, you haven't really presented us with descriptions of any symptoms that point decisively to Marek's. The ones you've described could be attributed to easily treated disorders.

The twisted neck issue (wry neck) could have been resolved very likely with vitamin E therapy if started at first sign of symptoms. The crop issues often hit chicks that haven't had access to suitable grit and get constipated. That can also be treated with oil if caught at first sign of symptoms.

The Ameraucanas where two died of "issues" you didn't describe what symptoms they had. So we can't know where to point the finger.

Marek's most often hits around 10 weeks. The most common symptom is leg paralysis. It usually progresses very rapidly, and the young chicken can only get around by throwing itself forward on its belly and using its wings to achieve a resemblance of balance.

Screenshot_20201231-133757_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20201231-130457_Samsung Internet.jpg

So far, you haven't really presented us with descriptions of any symptoms that point decisively to Marek's. The ones you've described could be attributed to easily treated disorders.

The twisted neck issue (wry neck) could have been resolved very likely with vitamin E therapy if started at first sign of symptoms. The crop issues often hit chicks that haven't had access to suitable grit and get constipated. That can also be treated with oil if caught at first sign of symptoms.

The Ameraucanas where two died of "issues" you didn't describe what symptoms they had. So we can't know where to point the finger.

Marek's most often hits around 10 weeks. The most common symptom is leg paralysis. It usually progresses very rapidly, and the young chicken can only get around by throwing itself forward on its belly and using its wings to achieve a resemblance of balance.

I posted 2 screen shots of mereks information I found online that says mereks can cause crop failure and paralysis of the neck.

Back
Top Bottom