Diseased liver

I had a nightmare last night, that I butched a chicken and it had a liver like this. Then when I sold some eggs, for some reason the yolks were green, too. Glad it was just a nightmare!

What a nightmare!

Thanks for the great pics ,Lady Marion; hope the turkeys are on the mend.​

I was looking back on this thread so I could send a friend some information. As for it NOT being Blackhead, I did have TWO veterinarians look at the photos. The yellow rings and the sulfur droppings did indicate blackhead. The green, I was told, was liver congestion from liver failure. E-coli could have been involved, secondarily. The bottom line is all four turkeys with exactly the same symptoms recovered with treatment for blackhead. I was told that if I used Flagyl, I could never eat the meat. Instead I used cayenne pepper, which the veterinary pathologist said was found in studies by the University of Georgia to be effective in treating blackhead. First, I wormed the turkeys with Safeguard, as the extension agent recommended. Then I gave each turkey two teaspoons of cayenne daily until symptoms disappeared. I gave them cayenne weekly until slaughter. The only sign of disease was a band of red tinted beard on an otherwise black beard of the Toms. The two Toms had been quite ill...........

Anything affecting the liver will cause sulphur colored poop. I have just never seen a grenn one like that.

I was looking back on this thread so I could send a friend some information.  As for it NOT being Blackhead, I did have TWO veterinarians look at the photos.  The yellow rings and the sulfur droppings did indicate blackhead.  The green, I was told, was liver congestion from liver failure.  E-coli could have been involved, secondarily.  The bottom line is all four turkeys with exactly the same symptoms recovered with treatment for blackhead.  I was told that if I used Flagyl, I could never eat the meat.  Instead I used cayenne pepper, which the veterinary pathologist said was found in studies by the University of Georgia to be effective in treating blackhead.  First, I wormed the turkeys with Safeguard, as the extension agent recommended.  Then I gave each turkey two teaspoons of cayenne daily until symptoms disappeared.  I gave them cayenne weekly until slaughter.  The only sign of disease was a band of red tinted beard on an otherwise black beard of the Toms.  The two Toms had been quite ill...........

Do you just put the cayenne in their feed, or how do you get it in them?

Quote: Your best chance of treating blackhead is with metronidazole (Flagyl, API General Cure, Meditrich, Fishzole, etc.). It's true that it's banned for use in food animals, but I'm pretty sure the meat and eggs are safe to eat if you give the drug enough time to clear the sysytem. FYI, metronidazole used to be used in the swine industry before it was banned.
big_smile.png
@ivan3 can probably explain it better.

Metronidazole dose is no less than 30mg/kg by mouth for 5 days, but some vets have prescribed it up to 60mg/kg by mouth twice a day for 5 days.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom