Disinfect run due to avian lymphoid leukosis?

debbieharry

Chirping
May 12, 2020
Hi all, I had to euthanize a hen today (1 year old white Leghorn) after she got suddenly v sick - the vet did an ultrasound and said her liver was enormous and felt there was no hope. She’s gone for necropsy and I’ll know the results in 2 weeks, but from what I can see she had all the symptoms of ALL. I have two other girls of same age and breed from same seller, who both look absolutely fine. As I won’t know for sure for two weeks I want to do everything I can right now to reduce any further chance of them being infected - probably too late but it’s worth a try. I read that it’s transmitted in fecal-oral route, so I want to disinfect the run, which is bare earth. I can disinfect the coop no problem, but how to clean the earth?

My other question is infection through eggs - it looks as though the virus is killed by heat and I’m not seeing much warning about transmission to humans that way - is that right? Also I have fed raw eggs from my girls to my dog - does anyone know if there’s a risk of him getting it?

Thanks all 🙏🏻

Hi all, I had to euthanize a hen today (1 year old white Leghorn) after she got suddenly v sick - the vet did an ultrasound and said her liver was enormous and felt there was no hope. She’s gone for necropsy and I’ll know the results in 2 weeks, but from what I can see she had all the symptoms of ALL. I have two other girls of same age and breed from same seller, who both look absolutely fine. As I won’t know for sure for two weeks I want to do everything I can right now to reduce any further chance of them being infected - probably too late but it’s worth a try. I read that it’s transmitted in fecal-oral route, so I want to disinfect the run, which is bare earth. I can disinfect the coop no problem, but how to clean the earth?

My other question is infection through eggs - it looks as though the virus is killed by heat and I’m not seeing much warning about transmission to humans that way - is that right? Also I have fed raw eggs from my girls to my dog - does anyone know if there’s a risk of him getting it?

Thanks all 🙏🏻
LL is not transmissable to humans or dogs so you can breathe a sigh of relief.
I had a roo that was diagnosed with LL but it turned out to be Mareks (equally as nasty). The 2 diseases can easily be confused.
I'm sure you have done a lot of reading on the subject have you read this one?
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/neoplasms/lymphoid-leukosis-in-poultry
You should disinfect the coop with Virkon S or similar. LL is not highly infectious, but if you can move your remaining birds to fresh land that would be good. If not, spray the area with Virkon and leave to dry off for a couple of days. It is not 100% effective but better than nothing.

LL is not transmissable to humans or dogs so you can breathe a sigh of relief.
I had a roo that was diagnosed with LL but it turned out to be Mareks (equally as nasty). The 2 diseases can easily be confused.
I'm sure you have done a lot of reading on the subject have you read this one?
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/neoplasms/lymphoid-leukosis-in-poultry
You should disinfect the coop with Virkon S or similar. LL is not highly infectious, but if you can move your remaining birds to fresh land that would be good. If not, spray the area with Virkon and leave to dry off for a couple of days. It is not 100% effective but better than nothing.
Thank you so much! ❤️👍🏻

Hopefully the results come back soon. I just went through the exact same thing. Pullet suddenly very sick, x-ray showed enlarged liver and symptoms looked like ll/mareks. She passed and I sent her to a state diagnostic lab... turned out to be a severe bacterial infection. It was very sad losing her but mercifully it wasn't anything infectious. Fingers crossed your's will be similar :hugs

Hopefully the results come back soon. I just went through the exact same thing. Pullet suddenly very sick, x-ray showed enlarged liver and symptoms looked like ll/mareks. She passed and I sent her to a state diagnostic lab... turned out to be a severe bacterial infection. It was very sad losing her but mercifully it wasn't anything infectious. Fingers crossed your's will be similar :hugs
Oh wow thanks - so hope that’s true for mine! Do you have other chooks and were they endangered at all by what yours had? I’ve washed everything in the run and removed anything the dead bird had sat on/pooped on, and turned over the earth in the run as well in order to bury any vestiges of her poop - my remaining two white Leghorns are actually pretty happy about the whole thing! But if it’s LL or another virus such as AHEV I’m v afraid they will have it already - although from what I’m reading only 4% of birds get tumours and die. I’m also wondering what happens with wild birds - AHEV is contagious across bird species - I wonder if wild birds are in danger if they peck somewhere my chook pooped in the garden and she was infected?? I will know what she had in two weeks either way. Thanks again!

Oh wow thanks - so hope that’s true for mine! Do you have other chooks and were they endangered at all by what yours had? I’ve washed everything in the run and removed anything the dead bird had sat on/pooped on, and turned over the earth in the run as well in order to bury any vestiges of her poop - my remaining two white Leghorns are actually pretty happy about the whole thing! But if it’s LL or another virus such as AHEV I’m v afraid they will have it already - although from what I’m reading only 4% of birds get tumours and die. I’m also wondering what happens with wild birds - AHEV is contagious across bird species - I wonder if wild birds are in danger if they peck somewhere my chook pooped in the garden and she was infected?? I will know what she had in two weeks either way. Thanks again!

Yes, I have 3 other chickens who shared the coop with her. I also currently have dirt floors, and as was mentioned, there is just no way disinfect that. But I did wash the roosting bars and water bowls for good measure. Unfortunately I didn't find out exactly what kind of bacteria she had, so I don't know the odds of the other birds picking it up, but its been a couple of weeks now and so far everyone is normal and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom