Disinfectant

jkunkel73

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 17, 2014
Hi Peeps,

Any recommendations on what type of disinfectant to use on a barn that previously had horses, goats, and cows in it? Want to get it ready for chickens. Years ago we used Criso Dip (spelling?), however I am not certain it is still on the market.

Thanks,
John

Hi Peeps,

Any recommendations on what type of disinfectant to use on a barn that previously had horses, goats, and cows in it? Want to get it ready for chickens. Years ago we used Criso Dip (spelling?), however I am not certain it is still on the market.

Thanks,
John
Do you mean creosote? I believe many people use Oxine or Vircon S to sanitize coops. Other than physically sweeping and cleaning dirt and dust, I'm not sure that you could disinfect it that well. Is there are dirt floor? Fortunately most bacteria and viruses that affect chickens only last a few days or weeks. I use an old horse barn with a dirt floor as my main coop, and have never disinfected anything, just tried to clean it up. Most important is spraying your coop for mites and lice. Most people use permethrin spray, Ravap, or 5% Sevin dust to prevent mites and lice. The drawback to those and most modern chemicals is that they only last for a month. Creosote used to be painted on barn and coop walls, and people never had mites, but it is toxic and impossible to get nowadays. Be cautious using straw in your coop because it can harbor mites.

Thanks Eggcessive. My Arkansas hillbilly kicked in on the spelling if creosote. I appreciate your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom