Disinfecting an Incubator

Chickensrock10110

Songster
10 Years
Feb 10, 2009
Hawaii
How do you disinfect an incubator?

I have a LG 9200 and all my babies have hatched out.I am planning to put a new batch soon and I was wondering how to disinfect a LG foam incubator ....is it even possible?

The incubator has a funky smell and I`m worried it could kil the next batch....The eggs of the new batch are getting old so I need to set them soon.I don`t have the instructions as I bought it from a garage sale.Can anyone help me?THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Hi! The LG and Hova bottoms and screens, I put in the bathtub with bleach / water. The only thing I've ever done to the tops is wipe them with same bleach / water and them wipe again with damp cloth.

I just cleaned my original LG for the FIRST time since I started using it in fall '05 (it's been continually in use since then).
I had a chick hatch early in the turner last week and made quite a bloody mess, so I broke down and cleaned it.

The ones I use as hatchers get bleached between every hatch (weekly).

Get it cleaned and get those eggs set. They aren't getting any younger
smile.png

Good luck!
smile.png

Lisa

I am new so I am not shure , I would think that you could use hot water with a little bleach in it to carefully wipe down the inside carefull not to bump anything and then let it air dry but again Im new so I am not shure.

Quote:
We then set it in the sun for a couple of hours and pack it away.

Next year, January, we'll try again.

I spray with 10% bleach/ water and let sit about ten minutes. Then I rinse & use dish soap and water and scrub it. I then let it dry in the sun.

As an incubator ages, especially the styrofoam ones, germs build up in the pores of the 'bator and kill embryos. After a few hatches, you will notice your hatch rate start to go down. Washing and bleach can't get them, protected by the pores...so you can paint the whole inside with either latex paint or smooth on clear silicone caulking for fish tanks. You want to cover all exposed styrofoam. New hovabators come with a plastic liner, which helps clean up, but is not enough to totally prevent germ buildup, so you will still need to seal the thing. The cork lined tin can types are the same...germs are not a problem for the first hatch or two, but then you need to seal the thing.

Back
Top Bottom