Disinfecting room after panleukopenia?

HollyWoozle

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 12, 2018
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
I am looking for any advice or experiences on cleaning and disinfecting after cats with panleukopenia (parvovirus) being in the room. I’m in the U.K. and have been given Anigene as a main disinfectant and I also have access to Virkon S which I understand also kills the virus.

I foster cats for a charity until they can be rehomed and my last foster has been an upsetting experience. 6 weeks ago a stray pregnant female arrived, she was extremely nervous. Her kittens (6) were born 3 weeks ago under our futon. Around 7-10 days ago the mama, Zena (who I never touched as she was too nervous), developed diarrhoea. The charity provided me with a gastrointestinal diet for her to no avail. They they gave me Panacur in case of worms or giardia, then yesterday started her on antibiotics as well. Whilst they would usually have wanted to see her in person, they also had to work around her fears and stress lev

Last night before bed I gave them a final check and realised one of the kittens wasn’t moving. :( Sadly this sweet baby had died quite suddenly. Zena and her 5 remaining kittens went to vet today, although getting Zena in carrier was fairly harrowing, and sadly a faeces sample I had collected from her confirmed panleukopenia. She had an extremely high temperature and I understand that the mortality rate for young kittens is very high with this virus. I am so sad to think that “our” babies are likely to die from a virus we must’ve brought in on our shoes or which perhaps was still in the room (we only moved here in June).

We are going to remove and dispose of the carpet and anything which can’t easily be cleaned, I guess the futon has to go too, as well as the cat tower/tree, scratching posts and beds. Then I will use Anigene to clean everything from the floors to the walls to the stainless steel bowls. I was also thinking to steam clean the other floors in the house and to spray them with Virkon S. Will disinfect shoes.

Is there anything else you think I should do? I guess the litter tray (plastic) has to go as probably hard to disinfect sufficiently and would be a main source of infection. I understand things like bedding, if not soiled, can be washed with a bleach solution.

Zena and her kittens are now in an isolation unit with the best of care from the charity team and I hope some of them will survive. If they do then there is a chance they can come back to us until rehoming but of course the room would have to be safe for them.

Thank you.

I am looking for any advice or experiences on cleaning and disinfecting after cats with panleukopenia (parvovirus) being in the room. I’m in the U.K. and have been given Anigene as a main disinfectant and I also have access to Virkon S which I understand also kills the virus.

I foster cats for a charity until they can be rehomed and my last foster has been an upsetting experience. 6 weeks ago a stray pregnant female arrived, she was extremely nervous. Her kittens (6) were born 3 weeks ago under our futon. Around 7-10 days ago the mama, Zena (who I never touched as she was too nervous), developed diarrhoea. The charity provided me with a gastrointestinal diet for her to no avail. They they gave me Panacur in case of worms or giardia, then yesterday started her on antibiotics as well. Whilst they would usually have wanted to see her in person, they also had to work around her fears and stress lev

Last night before bed I gave them a final check and realised one of the kittens wasn’t moving. :( Sadly this sweet baby had died quite suddenly. Zena and her 5 remaining kittens went to vet today, although getting Zena in carrier was fairly harrowing, and sadly a faeces sample I had collected from her confirmed panleukopenia. She had an extremely high temperature and I understand that the mortality rate for young kittens is very high with this virus. I am so sad to think that “our” babies are likely to die from a virus we must’ve brought in on our shoes or which perhaps was still in the room (we only moved here in June).

We are going to remove and dispose of the carpet and anything which can’t easily be cleaned, I guess the futon has to go too, as well as the cat tower/tree, scratching posts and beds. Then I will use Anigene to clean everything from the floors to the walls to the stainless steel bowls. I was also thinking to steam clean the other floors in the house and to spray them with Virkon S. Will disinfect shoes.

Is there anything else you think I should do? I guess the litter tray (plastic) has to go as probably hard to disinfect sufficiently and would be a main source of infection. I understand things like bedding, if not soiled, can be washed with a bleach solution.

Zena and her kittens are now in an isolation unit with the best of care from the charity team and I hope some of them will survive. If they do then there is a chance they can come back to us until rehoming but of course the room would have to be safe for them.

Thank you.
Hi Holly,
I don't have any particular experience with this virus. I'm so sorry about the poor kitties. I wanted to say it sounds like you're doing a great job, I'm so grateful when people open their homes to foster kitties and other animals.

Thanks @Isadora T, I appreciate it. It has been an upsetting time and whilst most cats are vaccinated against it (and people and others species can’t catch it) I just want to be sure we eliminate this horrible virus. Apparently it can survive up to a year in the right conditions. :hit

Thank you.
Bleach/Water mix.

Thank you.
Hello I hope and pray for your kittens to do well. My puppy got this virus when she was 4 months old.....(this year around april). She wasn't eating for 2 days much but we didn't think it was so serious as she was active. She suddenly went very weak and started having bloody stooles... She wouldn't even stand for long. Called the vet who gave her some antibiotic drip.... Was advised not to give food for few days just ice water.(cools the intestines) She never ate anything for 5 days and was getting a drip twice a day.... Then gradually fed her ice cream and very slowly increased her food..... We thought she was getting better but then suddenly she started getting body pains (lack of calcium) and her legs bent.... Took 3-4 months for recovery but she is fine now... We cleant the house with phenyl everyday and we don't have carpets.... Take care. Sending love and strength 💕💕

Thanks @Isadora T, I appreciate it. It has been an upsetting time and whilst most cats are vaccinated against it (and people and others species can’t catch it) I just want to be sure we eliminate this horrible virus. Apparently it can survive up to a year in the right conditions. it is very contagious to puppies

Thank you.
Parvo is awful. It is not only deadly to kittens but puppies too. It can live on surfaces for years. A bleach/water mix is your best bet. I've never had to get rid of soft surfaces. I've just made sure all hard ones were cleaned with a mixture. Both inside & out.

Thanks for your replies. @Shaleen Ann Brown your good wishes are appreciated and I'm so glad your puppy survived.

I am hopeful that the mama cat and some of the kittens may manage to survive - despite being unwell for days the mama has never once vomited and has an amazing appetite, managed to keep herself really well-hydrated too. Her surviving five kittens are all an above average weight and in otherwise good shape. I had a message this morning to say they all survived the night and I guess every 24 hours is a victory now.

@BecaHawaii did you do anything special with your clothes or add bleach to your laundry? Thanks for your advice.

If it's labeled for canine parvovirus, it will kill feline parvo (where canine parvo mutated from). Bleach is one product, and it doesn't need to be a 30% solution!
Some other disinfectants also will kill it; check with your veterinarian for advice and dilutions.
It's a miserable disease, so easy to prevent with vaccines, which obviously this poor stray kitty missed in her previous life.
All the best to you!
Unless you've practiced excellent hospital grade biosecurity at your home, it's likely that this virus is around your house. Again, discuss things with your veterinarian; you might have to limit your fostering to previously vaccinated cats and older kittens.
Mary

Thanks for your replies. @Shaleen Ann Brown your good wishes are appreciated and I'm so glad your puppy survived.

I am hopeful that the mama cat and some of the kittens may manage to survive - despite being unwell for days the mama has never once vomited and has an amazing appetite, managed to keep herself really well-hydrated too. Her surviving five kittens are all an above average weight and in otherwise good shape. I had a message this morning to say they all survived the night and I guess every 24 hours is a victory now.

@BecaHawaii did you do anything special with your clothes or add bleach to your laundry? Thanks for your advice.
No. Just washed regular. Hope all is going well. Such an awful virus. Until it runs its course you need to keep them contained. That way you don't have to keep cleaning the same things over and over. We used a lot of puppy pads then can do a quick wipe down of the area they are in.

Back
Top Bottom