Dislocated hip?

Dingo

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Somewhere near Springfield, Ma
The last chick I had hatch on the 9th came out with gusto. It flopped around a bit in the incubator and had what appeared to be a minor leg issue. I wasn't too concerned as it was mobile and active.
Since hatching it's legs have gotten worse. It can still move but it walks with an obvious limp, so much so that it's earned the name Swagger. It's being kept with a chick of comparable size. It feasted on egg yolk today, and does pick at crumbles. I'm giving it save-a-chick in its water for extra nutrition. It's developed pasty-butt last night. Is there any hope for this chick, I dont care if it turns out disabled.
I believe it's a dislocated hips because when it lays down one leg goes straight out forward the other goes straight out backward. If I hold the chick and make both of it's legs go back it'll walk a little better until it lays down.

Last edited:
does seem to be having some issues, dont know whats going on under the hood, may even be a fractured pelvis? could be a embryo development issue.
I usually cull them, you may find it will develop slower than the others because of the added "stress". it will feather slower, etc.
if it is a fracture or dislocation the chicks nervous/endocrine system will probably be releasing endorphins to deal with the pain in which case that could inhibit muscular and skeletal development.

does seem to be having some issues, dont know whats going on under the hood, may even be a fractured pelvis? could be a embryo development issue.
I usually cull them, you may find it will develop slower than the others because of the added "stress". it will feather slower, etc.
if it is a fracture or dislocation the chicks nervous/endocrine system will probably be releasing endorphins to deal with the pain in which case that could inhibit muscular and skeletal development.

Do you think any sort of split would help it?
I'd hate to cull it while it's still trying to survive.

I had a ducking with a similar problem. Made a blog post about it at the time....

http://www.teamhightail.com/2011/04/119.html

Well, that story didn't end well. I wish we had culled her when she was young. She never grew to full size. She always had a major limp and got run over by her flock mates. Her eye and head on that side were always a mess since she couldn't bring that foot up to scratch. She eventually died from an infection that we could never get under control.

Back
Top Bottom