Disoriented, crouch-walking Pullet. What's wrong with Pippa?

Do you suspect worms, mites/lice and/or Coccidiosis? (you gave Valbazen, are looking for your Ivermectin and want to know where to buy Totrazuril)
How much Valbazen did you give?

Total she had about 25 mg yesterday, which is the recommended dose for a kilo animal. She would NOT take any today. I medicated the flock's water per the titrations in this post, which was about 8mL/gallon split amongst 10 ~kilo girls. They're all about halfway through it.

You mention that you switched BACK TO layena crumbles yesterday - what were you feeding? Personally I would not feed a 3 month old Pullet layer feed. I would stick with Chick Starter or an all flock/Flock Raiser feed.

I was feeding them mostly fresh stuff: pumpkins (we have a ton) and sprouted oat groats and sorghum, which were soaked with a solution of cultured probiotics.

The layena crumbles were recommended to me from my local farm store who sold me the chickens. I'm a huge chicken virgin, so I've been taking advice from a lot of different people and communities. They don't tell you if it's the wrong advice, lol!

I would try the vitamins that were suggested previously and see if that makes a difference.

Aye aye, mistress!

give that chicken some vitamin e . keep her hydrated . givin g so many diff worem medications is upsetting her tummy give her a chance to feel better stop and think for the love of your chicken give some egg yolk for a few days she need nutrition now

Total she had about 25 mg yesterday, which is the recommended dose for a kilo animal. She would NOT take any today. I medicated the flock's water per the titrations in this post, which was about 8mL/gallon split amongst 10 ~kilo girls. They're all about halfway through it.

I was feeding them mostly fresh stuff: pumpkins (we have a ton) and sprouted oat groats and sorghum, which were soaked with a solution of cultured probiotics.
So you syringed 25mg of the mixed Valbazen/water solution into her?
Valbazen is given orally and individually by weight. Dosage is 0.08 mg per pound of weight - you give it once, then repeat in 10 days.
I'm not needling you, I'm just confused at your dosing. In the thread you linked - the participants are talking about 3 different things. Fenbendazole (Panacur/Safeguard), Valbazen (Albendazole) and Corid (Amprolium). Fenbendazole and Valbazen are wormers, Corid is a Coccidiostat. Each has a different dosing rate, length of time given and the Corid is administered in water where the other 2 are not.

Some folks do feed fresh stuff but make nutritionally balanced poultry feed available at all times. If the chickens free range where they have access to good forage (bugs, worms, etc.) then they may only need supplementation from poultry feed.
When in doubt about feed = visit the manufacturer's website for age recommendations or ask on here. I'm not being ugly, but for the most part feed store employees are there to do a job - stock shelves and sell products. Very few know the difference in feed, they probably do not know anything about animals unless they have some themselves. Feed store folks are nice here, but have no clue.

That said. Your pullet is young. She's only 3 months old - she's a Marans, I would feed her only chick starter or a flock raiser/all flock feed. Aim for 18-20% protein.
Once she is healthy and has come into lay, then if you choose layer feed, it should be fine.

give that chicken some vitamin e . keep her hydrated . givin g so many diff worem medications is upsetting her tummy give her a chance to feel better stop and think for the love of your chicken give some egg yolk for a few days she need nutrition now

Aye aye!

Is it weird to feed them egg yolks that aren't 100% fresh? IE can I go to the store and ask for the "expired" eggs they can't sell? All the stores around me are sooo pumped about our chickens, they give us all the ugly produce and produce thats a few days expired.

So you syringed 25mg of the mixed Valbazen/water solution into her?

Yes, that's about right. And they've all been drinking medicated water out of their feeder ---err, drinker....

Valbazen is given orally and individually by weight. Dosage is 0.08 mg per pound of weight - you give it once, then repeat in 10 days.

Right right, we were using Panacur. Not exactly Valbazen. Fenbendazole. Similar?

I'm not needling you, I'm just confused at your dosing. In the thread you linked - the participants are talking about 3 different things. Fenbendazole (Panacur/Safeguard), Valbazen (Albendazole) and Corid (Amprolium). Fenbendazole and Valbazen are wormers, Corid is a Coccidiostat. Each has a different dosing rate, length of time given and the Corid is administered in water where the other 2 are not.

We went along with the dosage for fenbendazole, since we had Panacur on hand.

We have praziquantel on order, and still looking for toltrazuril.

Since after dosing them all with wormers, they've all been very very spunky and alive. Lots of wall climbing and jumping to the top of their roost (which is a short ladder set up with some long sticks).

Pippa is still presenting some Parkinson's tremors, even though she's getting feisty with the wormers.

Some folks do feed fresh stuff but make nutritionally balanced poultry feed available at all times. If the chickens free range where they have access to good forage (bugs, worms, etc.) then they may only need supplementation from poultry feed.

Ok, good to know. Our yard is super crap for foraging -- it's a SW xeriscape infilled with pebbles, pebbles, pebbles. Our friends grow them huge flats of sunflower shoots and they demolish those! (See? Everyone we know loves our chickens too, haha).

Looking for a good source of bulk crickets/mealworms/SFL, and thinking of putting fishing earthworms in their soil sandbox to scratch for

When in doubt about feed = visit the manufacturer's website for age recommendations or ask on here. I'm not being ugly, but for the most part feed store employees are there to do a job - stock shelves and sell products. Very few know the difference in feed, they probably do not know anything about animals unless they have some themselves. Feed store folks are nice here, but have no clue.

Oh you're not ugly at all, I love straight shooting honest advice.

My feed store staffer has 40 chickens, so I've been weighing his opinion pretty strongly until now

That said. Your pullet is young. She's only 3 months old - she's a Marans, I would feed her only chick starter or a flock raiser/all flock feed. Aim for 18-20% protein.
Once she is healthy and has come into lay, then if you choose layer feed, it should be fine.

18-20%. Aye aye!

Pippa's headed to the livestock vet today... I'll keep y'all posted!

Is it weird to feed them egg yolks that aren't 100% fresh? IE can I go to the store and ask for the "expired" eggs they can't sell? All the stores around me are sooo pumped about our chickens, they give us all the ugly produce and produce thats a few days expired.

Yes, that's about right. And they've all been drinking medicated water out of their feeder ---err, drinker....

Right right, we were using Panacur. Not exactly Valbazen. Fenbendazole. Similar?

We went along with the dosage for fenbendazole, since we had Panacur on hand.

We have praziquantel on order, and still looking for toltrazuril.

Since after dosing them all with wormers, they've all been very very spunky and alive. Lots of wall climbing and jumping to the top of their roost (which is a short ladder set up with some long sticks).

Pippa is still presenting some Parkinson's tremors, even though she's getting feisty with the wormers.

Our friends grow them huge flats of sunflower shoots and they demolish those!
Let us know how the vet visit goes.

Fenbendazole (Panacur) is a dewormer but the dosage is different from Valbazen.
It is also given orally and by weight. (0.23ml per pound of weight) IF treating roundworms, then you would give it 1 time, then repeat in 10 days. IF treating other worms you would give for 5 days in a row.
Personally I would not put the wormers in the water - it settles out and birds may not drink enough for the medication to be effective.

You are waiting on praziquantel and toltrazuril to come in? Do you suspect Tapeworms or Coccidiosis? Are you planning on treating the birds once you get those or are they just to keep on hand? A better way to know whether birds need treatment or not is to have the vet perform a fecal float.

Back
Top Bottom