Distilled water for bator?

UrbanMama

Gone Country....
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
Massachusetts
Okay, I don't know why I think of things like this??? but while I was cleaning out my hatcher I was thinking of the bacteria build-up in an incubator/hatcher and what I could do to lessen any effects from it.

When I make baby wash solutions or other concotions that will sit for a while, I use distilled water to cut down on potential bacteria growth. Now we all know that an incubator has got to be one of the best breeding grounds for bacteria (eggs, moist, warm etc. )

My question is...do you think using distilled water in the bator/hatcher would help cut back on the bacteria?
idunno.gif

(Or am I just way over thinking this!
lau.gif
)

Last edited:
Hmm ... that would be an idea. I've been wondering how bad the hard water build-up is going to get in my hatcher (incubator rarely needs water). We have well water also and it is hard and nasty. We have a water softener, which helps, but I like the idea of the distilled water. I may try that.

Given that it is well water with no chlorine, I would be even more concerned about bacterial buildup because of the lack of chlorine to kill said bacteria. I also, however, would not particularly want my developing chicks constantly exposed to evaporating chlorine either. Bacteria aside, distilled water is probably a good idea just to get away from the chemicals.

Thanks for the idea
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom