Distinguishing pekins vs. Muscovy ducklings

rissachar

Hatching
Jun 27, 2020
Hi there! I was wondering if anybody could help me with a question I have. I am new to the duck scene, and I dont have many right now... I am working on growing my flock. I have two black swedish, and i had a pekin... but I lost him to a fox attack.
I had been looking everywhere for pekin ducklings to replace him, but because of COVID, and ducks being in high demand in my area, the only place I found them was a really sketchy feed/bird store in the Houston heights.
The guy at the store had no idea what he was talking about, but said they were probably pekins... so I took him at his word, since they were yellow.... but now I am wondering if they are Pekins or not. I purchased 2... They are a little darker yellow(and patchy yellow colored) than I've seen pekins, and one is different shaped, and his bill is a little different than the other. They look different than I've ever seen Pekin ducklings, and at first I just attributed it to the fact that I had never gotten ducklings that young before, (they were probably only a few hours old), but now that a few days have passed, I am wondering if I somehow got Muscovy ducks... since I hear it is often hard to tell them apart as ducklings. Does anybody know if there are any distinctions that I can look for? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom