Dixie Chicks

VERY pretty!

I really like the blue Ameraucana looking one, and the blue laced red... But that one is a splash, right? And the buff brahma.... I do really like the buff columbian color pattern.

There is a chance that some of these d'anver chicks that I am raising might grow into buff columbians.
thats one of my new years hatchlings eggna poe (if you mean the one with the puffy cheeks :) yeh she is a splash...ya I so like the buff columbian pattern as well alot

I Thought picture number five looked like a blue Ameraucana

Which one s the blue wyandotte?

see thats part of why I hate looking up stuff online I thought I had read something that the mareks can be transfered from the vaccination... not always but that tehre was a chanc maybe it's just some of the anti vaccination propganda that goes around
There is no documented cases of that. People seem to think they know more than research scientists.

OK... I Found the blue wyandotte.... Ha! I saw cockerel and didn't give him a second glance!
lau.gif

He mght fill out nicely!
I think so hope so...there is a black one I like his body alot better much more wide and basket bally body.....I am watching the two of them temperament wise now cant get the camera to show it but he has some very nicely defined blue lacing and his blue is a good color...and so far his chest feels like a plump not much boney feel to it and body wise he feels good...right spread ect for the pelvic bones ...the blue was also one of the chicks violet raised

That is the problem with cockerels... You really have to grow them out to see what you have. I can never grow them out as long as I would like.... I think it would be best to grow them out until a year of age.....

But then you are stuck with all of those extras for way too long. I wait as long as I can, hold my breathe, and hope I picked the right one. :idunno

I am now getting paranoid.

hide.gif
There are SO many possible symptoms for Mareks.... How is there any way to know if I have it?

Just the fact that I hatch lots of chicks and they don't all die? That is proof that I don't have Mareks?

I did just had a duckling die
sad.png
no idea why.... Kid #4 looked it over closely... Doesn't look like it was hurt (it was with two co-parenting mama ducks and the drake), and it wasn't stuck anywhere... Just on the ground between the nestbox and the feeder and waterer. And yes, there was feed and water.
idunno.gif
The rest of them, 10, look fine.

Maybe five years back I had one rooster that got weak in the legs and then died... that is my only paralysis death.

Hummmm

A few have died over the years from respiratory stuff... I didn't medicate them... But no big die offs. The only one that wasted away was a deformed chick. It was hatched with only one eye... But it got along fine, so we kept it, but poor girl started I think to have heart failure. She started loosing weight, and then having problems breathing..... Anyway, I had to put her down.
sad.png
poor girl. I was so proud of her, getting along so well with only the one eye.

OK... I am clearly being silly...... Paranoid ville.... Because none of my rambling sounded like Mareks.

No one is silly. If you hatch chicks, and no one dies, chances are you do not have it. Chickens can get paralysis from other things. Like botulism. If they look sick from respiratory, it's probably respiratory. Marek's birds usually look happy and normal while they have paralysis or are wasting away. Some of mine looked like they were eating but they weren't "connecting" with the food.

Anyone can keep a "closed" flock. Hatching eggs yours or sent to you, or hatchery day old chicks and no chickens from anywhere else. I broke that rule once and paid for it.

I personally just vaccinate any newbie or get vaccinated hatchery chicks. At some point, all my chickens will be vaccinated. I have about 1/2 right now. It's better than having a loss of a huggy chicken. Mine are all pets.

VERY pretty!

I really like the blue Ameraucana looking one, and the blue laced red... But that one is a splash, right? And the buff brahma.... I do really like the buff columbian color pattern.

There is a chance that some of these d'anver chicks that I am raising might grow into buff columbians.
I agree, very pretty!

Back
Top Bottom