Dixie Chicks

Jem,

I have used a combination of "above ground pool surround discards and push in fence posts" for an area that could then be "netted" against a building that I use for a grow out pen.

I don't know if your chickens will be fliers or if the area will be used before their wings could be clipped if they are young. My experience is that mature chickens really "respect" a good fence and usually don't attempt to fly over if the space inside is adequate, even if they might be able to do so with effort. High fliers are a different matter (no more polish hens here!!)

I've used my five foot wooden privacy fence along two sides, and made a really big area by using just "push in" plastic fencing poles on a metal spike (not cheap) two other sides. I have even used cheap netting between the poles and just "pushed" the netting onto clips on the plastic poles---- really an "instant fence" if speed is needed, like to separate birds. This can be taken down and rearranged and put back up too. Here...if I am feeding inside such an enclosure... I have found it only takes a rodent a minute to put a hole in netting or plastic fence mesh at ground level if they want to get at food in a pen...and I can't mend the holes as fast as they can break a few strands of the plastic fencing/netting. On these "temporary fences" now permanent...I have run two feet of chicken wire at the bottom along to foil critters. a "hole" further up the fence does not create a door for chicks.

I grow bamboo....(the neighbors already hated me :idunno ) and even pretty thin canes make great additions to the "plastic fence poles" .. I zip tied stripped canes to fence poles to extend the fence post height by the canes...(to which I then zip tied the top of plastic fence netting) so that I had a four or five or six foot fence rather than a three foot fence. Using bamboo canes you can also use many fewer true fence poles by putting one or two halfway between true poles and zip tying them to the fencing materials. Luckily, I have wooden privacy fencing around about a half acre, and this is inside that....it certainly would not contain a fox, dog, raccoon or any critters who are not stopped by regular wire fencing.

Obviously, I have gone for "function" over "form" here....yeah...it is basically unattractive. :D but cheap.

Edited to add this P.S. If you already have poles sunk and know what you want there....the bird netting zip tied to those poles would be great for a temporary solution, while you waited for the source of the kind of fencing you wanted to add to those poles...not necessarily even having to remove the netting as you made progress on the permanent fencing.

Last edited:
If'n Rick and I had to do it all over again...fence our five acres...we'd have stepped up and jest done chainlink (with perhaps razor wire topped and ele hot wire too to stop the clingy climbers)--do it ONCE, get her done up right, not three times getting smarter each round. Expensive...in which aspect? How expensive is it when you put up one page wire and then do another page wire and then do it a third time because your Cattle Dogs are teased by the Minister's son on a bike? Yeh, we had the Minister come by SEVEN YEARS later to apologize and acknowledge that HIS SON was tormenting our dogs and our complaints to HIM were valid!

But if it was not his kid, it would have been any innumerable other people...so we stepped up and took care of our concerns by triple fencing OUR place to keep our stuff IN and other people's stuff OUT! It does not matter when you are standing over a mutilated carcass "who's fault it was!" Tis dead...dead is dead is dead and the heart ache never ends when you let that keep happening, the slashing of your heart's care...money does not bring life back that died in the ultimate of horrors. Paying with money does not change that you had to witness and feel the agony from the loss. Pay up front NOW and avoid the heart ache is what we say. I cannot deal with the bads, so we step up and deal with the issue and hopefully never EVER know what we avoided by trying the best we are able.

When one of our barns burned to ashes (heated bucket used to water a quarantined new ram caused the fire--you can never be too careful with those dang things!
barnie.gif
) and the police swung by to inspect what happened (neighbour's called the fire department...too late, was already gone--Rick had to relight it to get rid of the reminants...should jest let her go till there was no more fuel left), the officer was freaked right out...over how well fenced our place is. He burst out asking, "Expecting a siege?" Yup over the top and over board all the way, eh...but never any worries, no predation by wandering at large "pets" or wild type predators (too much work--far easier to hit the neighbours than our place), no two legged stealers because we padlock our buildings, we have security cameras and have for years now...bad persons SEE the cameras and that deters many of them from the get go, people that are innocent, never do notice things like that. I wouldn't until Rick showed me what was needed.
wink.png

We listened to the coyotes howl in the Millennium and enjoyed the show for all its magical meaning; not worried it meant one of the ruminants was being chawed upon.

You do as you so see fit but the best fence you can afford is the best DEFENSE if you have plants you do not want trodden or grazed upon...you have precious creatures you do not want mauled or harvested before their time or worse yet stole by people. YOU have to have decent barriers & deterrents to protect what is near and dear to your heart. I ever so much tire of people whining about how the neighbour's nutso dog ran loose and caused mayhem at their place. In the ultimate end, it is YOUR responsibility alone to step up and protect what you own. How many times ours has save our butts, I don't need to know past it has and it still is--if it don't, watch us up the anti and work at it some more. I sleep well at night, because I am not on pins and needles wondering WHEN (not if) the night crawlers are killing/maiming our possessions.
hmm.png

Any fence that is climbable, it still warrants that you have to put the dear creatures safely away in the eve...given flying predators harvest at night and day, the best prevention is a metal roof which also blesses you with weather protection where you don't have your chooks butt deep in filthy soggy muck. Your best wire choice is hardware cloth unless it gets constantly wet and then the coating can poison your critters. We would use something like puckboard in a constantly wet environment...that or tenplast which can get wet and not leach toxins.

Nothing is 100% so if you have something near and dear that you cannot afford to lose, it then lives a more protected and less freedomish life. The Duece Coop contains our breeders...when they retire, we can afford to be more lax and they retire to the Coop fur Sure and run wild when the weather and seasons allow. Better and happier life we figure but we cannot risk some of our stocks and take adequate measures to ensure we get more from them that can continue and let them then go and have the good life...

Zero predation since Earth Day 2007 (left a yard hen out and an owl harvested her...my bad for getting complacent about head counts); I need say no mores on this then.
hugs.gif

Do as you are gonna do, but not having to run outside half dressed for going to work because I hear SCREAMS of "ALERT ALERT...Come help us!"...that avoidance in our books is PRICELESS! We don't do this to save money, it is a style of life with the living that makes or breaks it for us. Best you are able or you pay in so many other ways...tears, sorrow, agony, anger over the horror.

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada
hide.gif
this is a fence in a fenced area to a fenced area lol

Jem,

I have used a combination of "above ground pool surround discards and push in fence posts" for an area that could then be "netted" against a building that I use for a grow out pen.

I don't know if your chickens will be fliers or if the area will be used before their wings could be clipped if they are young. My experience is that mature chickens really "respect" a good fence and usually don't attempt to fly over if the space inside is adequate, even if they might be able to do so with effort. High fliers are a different matter (no more polish hens here!!)

I've used my five foot wooden privacy fence along two sides, and made a really big area by using just "push in" plastic fencing poles on a metal spike (not cheap) two other sides. I have even used cheap netting between the poles and just "pushed" the netting onto clips on the plastic poles---- really an "instant fence" if speed is needed, like to separate birds. This can be taken down and rearranged and put back up too. Here...if I am feeding inside such an enclosure... I have found it only takes a rodent a minute to put a hole in netting or plastic fence mesh at ground level if they want to get at food in a pen...and I can't mend the holes as fast as they can break a few strands of the plastic fencing/netting. On these "temporary fences" now permanent...I have run two feet of chicken wire at the bottom along to foil critters. a "hole" further up the fence does not create a door for chicks.

I grow bamboo....(the neighbors already hated me
idunno.gif
) and even pretty thin canes make great additions to the "plastic fence poles" .. I zip tied stripped canes to fence poles to extend the fence post height by the canes...(to which I then zip tied the top of plastic fence netting) so that I had a four or five or six foot fence rather than a three foot fence. Using bamboo canes you can also use many fewer true fence poles by putting one or two halfway between true poles and zip tying them to the fencing materials. Luckily, I have wooden privacy fencing around about a half acre, and this is inside that....it certainly would not contain a fox, dog, raccoon or any critters who are not stopped by regular wire fencing.

Obviously, I have gone for "function" over "form" here....yeah...it is basically unattractive.
big_smile.png
but cheap.

Edited to add this P.S. If you already have poles sunk and know what you want there....the bird netting zip tied to those poles would be great for a temporary solution, while you waited for the source of the kind of fencing you wanted to add to those poles...not necessarily even having to remove the netting as you made progress on the permanent fencing.
oh I like the bird netting I have some over the free range area we have now .. I wont beable to do the whole slope the far back corner is just tooo big but will be bird netting the ends one is already done......keeps the wild birds away...and also can help see if it has been tampered with

my next yard fence will be cattle panels.... I have eighteen acres so fencing and cross fencing is out of my price range. If I won the lotto it would be Board for looks and Vmesh wire on the inside to keep the critters in.

Then inside that would be either electrobraid or electric fence tape to keep my horse honest.

Chainlink is easy to put up and have nice.... as with all wire fencing materails you have to stretch it and brace it every hundred feet or so. the tighter the wire the better it performs and longer it will look nice. Not a fan of chainlink in the long term..... for horses and goats. Because they can stretch it out rubbing on it.

Oh and you r choice will have to be determined what you want to keep in.... and what you want to keep out.

deb
good point about the link stretching

Back
Top Bottom