Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Amber: This year?..LOL....I've been impressed with my Wyandottes. Good looking Body shape. Laying Longevity. My SLW is a bit persnickety though (drawback). They also have the right comb type for our region.

The EE's are perfect for my climate too and I love the blue in my egg carton. But the laying longevity on those birds is unimpressive.

I got a Buckeye this past spring. I like her...but she's not thrifty on the feed. She eats like a horse. (Dual purpose bird) Verdict is still out on her as she's just come into POL. I'll see how she does on egg production before I put in my verdict on her.

Black Australorp--although a single comb. Super kind on the roost. Docile yet flighty enough for free ranging. Loves her greens and very thrifty on feed. Good layer.

Wyandottes, so far. [​IMG]

2. JulesChicks

JulesChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Seriously? I can't even bring myself to read the book let alone take my mom to see the movie. lol - you're brave... I'm a Jamie Fraser fan myself (Outlander book series). I would take him any day over Christian Gray...

Thank you! And I'm sorry you're not getting the moral support from DH. Mine has said he will be the "chicken killer" - though I suspect he will grow fond of them too and have a harder time with it than he lets on.

Lol. But on a serious note, I am really concerned for my nearly 70 yr old father in law who shovels their driveway - no snowblower. He is very active and healthy, but we still worry with so much snow. DH was back there (Massachusetts south shore) for the Super Bowl and he said the drift was about 5' high then outside on their patio -and they've been hit much harder since. Hopefully all of you with the cold winters and awful storms get a break soon...

@Amberjem Well, we're making progress! DH usually works on holidays (we own a business) but he decided to keep the brush hog for another day on account of the nice weather. We cleared and burned one swath yesterday (I pruned and burned the trees nearby), but there is a fence line and a slope making it tricky. He is working the other side of the fence line today. Progress!!

3. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Hahaha Jules:

Well I was mortified and fidgety the whole movie with her. Caught myself holding my breath, wrinkling up my face a couple times. I don't know what I was thinking.

I love the Outlander books. I'm on the second to last book. Jamie Fraser IS the best. I've got my sister and Mom reading those too, now. Those books are just decadent.

4. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Lol... Dirty....

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

sounds good... except lets nix the wild pig.. destructive little buggers...... ah never mind, I will just hunt them into extinction. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

not so bad.... just 25 there. At least you didn't send me to Greenland.

oooh! but where to go, where to go?

you could sun dry tomatoes on the roof! yum!

I should start the peppers now too..... not feeling like it at the moment.

The one I built last summer was from all free scrap... with a coat of free paint it actually looks good, I highly recommend a tractor. And tractors are short.... very unlikely to fall on your head and try to kill you while you build them.

6. JulesChicks

JulesChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got my mom just barely started on Outlander - she said she can't seem to get past the first 50 pages so I just asked her if Claire had gone through the stones yet -nope, still with Frank. I said, no wonder you're not hooked, keep reading! I did watch a few episodes of the new series with mom and although we are very close, it was a little awkward watching it with her...
    I'm on Echo in the Bone, which I think is book 7 out of 8? So maybe we're on the same one. My sister in law has read the entire series several times - she's an avid reader and owns a bookstore.

7. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Ha I'm on Echo too. Claire just ran into Tom Christie.

Mom is on Dragonfly-- Lallybroch before Culloden. And sister just finished Voyageur (awesome book of the series) so she's diving into Drums now.

The first outlander was a slow start for me too--getting used to Herself's writing and of course the Gaelic--because I had to look up everything... Ha.

Ahhh they're good reads and an excellent escape. She's a smart writer. Her detail blows me away.

8. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

ya I been leaning more n more torwards wyandottes so far.......

9. Amberjem

what kinda business does he do?

10. Amberjem

lol that was the idea the deer and pig were for meat :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by