1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I'm going to get out my sprouting trays. Good Idea. The birdies would love some sprouted Boss. I've been tossing them Baby spinach this winter but I think they would like the sprouts....

We finally are getting winter. I was kind of hoping that it would just sort of stay away now for the rest of the year. It may still be an early spring yet....

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Someone posted on Craigslist "Free Snow! Bring your shovels and take all you want!" LOL! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

I think they're going to be waiting for a while for someone to show up...

4. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I would say there is not much demand at this time in the snow market...

5. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    yes, dumping snow like crazy! I'm hibernating and keep g the garage warm for mama and babies.

@AmberjemMama had 10 out of 12 eggs hatched. The other 2 were chirping in the egg but failed to hatch. Not too shabby for sitting in January and extreme cold! I've got 4 in the incubator with most of the others pipped. One of the orp/ohiki crosses can't seem to get its legs underneath of itself. It's not spraddled? I'm trying to fabricate something in my mind to get it up so it can gain strength. It pipped at the wrong end and gad to be helped out cause it was stuck.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  6. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    JulesChicks: Very well said and at some point you'll maybe get there. Thank you for these well written words. This is where the "head" needs to be for raising chickens. If a Backyard chicken keeper can't "get there" then they shouldn't probably get chickens.

It really bothered me, like you, where and how my eggs & meat was being raised. So I've changed that for myself with some steps. Baby steps maybe. Trying to live consciously and making steps to change the things that bother me. I've learned alot & about myself. It's not always easy. Sort of makes you stronger though, you know?

To be honest, my DH, I think, has more feelings for the birds than he lets on. It is up to me as he refused my request to help me dispatch an extra roo. In fact, he even sort of was against the culling of one bird. [​IMG] Not helpful when I knew what had to be done. I had extra roos though this last fall again and was planning to cull. He told me to ask around first...and we ended up rehoming them to very nice coops and set ups. I couldn't get over it. So those boys are doing well and are loved and that's good.

7. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    [​IMG] Just had to post that on our town website Lol !

-3F this morning, 15 mph winds, had -40F wind chill last night, looked nice and sunny from inside. Had to snow blow the driveway so the sister in law could pic up our daughter, high winds and snow drifted 2 feet deep across 100 yrd long drive last night. Made one pass down and one up and gave up, about lost my face, wind blowing one way than the other right in my face. This weather isn't fit for man nor beast!
    Got one egg from a EEgr and one from the welsummer and they are all still alive! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  8. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Vehve, love the sprouting system, more ideas runnin around my brain...

9. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    yeah. There are all sorts of strange brahmas.

10. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    bahahahaa, I'll even provide the snow blower!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by