1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

well I hope she perks up for you soon @vehve oh that reminds me I saw patty and spike checking out the nest box while violet was in laying her egg...hopefully the other girls will start laying soon

2. Amberjem

@BriardChickens how are things going?

@Outpost JWB so whats the word anything yet?

@RavynFallen did you finish up the coops?

@hennible what do you like to plant for your first early spring crops?

whats new @perchie.girl

@chickwhispers hows that bird still knocking on your window?

@minihorse927 soo exciting with the chicks so how many now?

@Alaskan are all the baby chicks doing good so far getting em sold?

@juleschicken how is the bush hogging going?

@Double Kindness did you have any survivors with the hatching chicks?

@Beer can made anything totally awesome in the kitchen lately?

@JW12 are you hiding again :p

@Bogtown Chick how is the weekend going?

@ApiaryandAviary whats one of your favorite recipes you like doing?

@Peep_Show must feel weird without all the trader joe chicks about... so anything incubating?

@NotAFarm How are you doing? I been so busy I havent stopped to take a breath this week

@vehve @tntchix how are the sproutings?

3. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Whoa, you're like a BYC user savant [​IMG]

I've got two days of sprouting going in the new tower. I'm now going with a 12h soak before moving the seeds to the tower. The first set was moved there yesterday morning, the second this morning. First set is building roots at the moment, second has slight sprouting visible. It will be very cool to see the different stages once I get the tower filled, there will be several different stages there at the same time.

4. Amberjem

we need some pictures of it set up and doing it's sprouting thing @vehve :)

5. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Good Monday Morning Everyone!

Jem, Good looking garden and tractor. The only rose that has flourished here is my climbing rose I got from a friend that came from her mother's garden. It has been in northern Illinois for decades so it knows how to handle the cold winters.

Off to work......no holiday for me! Have a great day everyone! [​IMG]

6. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Here's the tower in action. Not much to see yet, once all layers are filled it will be a lot cooler.
    [​IMG]
    The water on the bottom looks pretty nasty after just two days. Once it's full, I'm going to pour it in the compost. The water runs through the tower beautifully, it's a bit uneven coming from an empty box, but when it's running from a box with seeds in it it drips to the next layer like rain. We decided to switch it around so that the seeds will be running from top to bottom, oldest on the bottom. That way we won't be moving bacteria backwards in the process.

[​IMG]
    These have been soaked for 12 hours, and went into the tower this morning. Some small action is visible in the seeds.

[​IMG]
    These have spent 24 hours longer in the tower. A lot more roots visible here.

1 person likes this.
  7. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    It's a bank. You know, banker's hours[​IMG]. They're closed today. I expect no news until tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm off work today, but I am applying at a couple other places and taking an online assessment for a switchboard operator position. Full time job, but a significant pay cut from what I make now.

I have so much housework to do today[​IMG]

@Beer can , you beat me on the hard worker scale. WOW! I had to drink a code red mountain dew so I didn't fall asleep driving home last night.

@RavynFallen , I doubt that it works for possum. The raccoons are attracted to the sweet smell of coca cola. I'd go with the "have a heart" traps for the possum. This past summer we caught 5 different feral cats in those traps. Problem is they look so cute in those cages, you don't really know if they are feral or someone's pet. So, I let them all go. But to my knowledge, they have not been a predator to my flock-yet. We had raccoons in the spring that killed at least 10 of my good hens. I took provisions to get rid of them.

@Alaskan , put your ruby red slippers on and click your heals 3 times![​IMG]

8. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    @minihorse927 , Is it dumping snow on your place? If not, it's headed your way. Started here this morning at about 6am. Just spitting snow at first. Now dumping inches and inches. UGH! Good day to hibernate! [​IMG]

9. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    I quoted about your tablet and nothing came up? This is my laptop? i hate losing stuff in cyberspace! I can never remember either.
    me too. My phone does that quite a bit, so lately if I can't use my laptop I only use the phone to catchup and read and save posting for the laptop.

Try the Have a hart traps but put cat food in them. works everytime for us.

Yes, but not on the bitter cold days. He's been taking equal opportunities at 4 different windows now. [​IMG]Crazy bird!

Yes! A regular BYC NINJA!

When you get them all going will you post more pics? Please.
    You have an awesome thermometer! 3 separate locations. Cool!

10. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

I will, once I get the tower stocked I might post it on the DYI thread as well.

The thermometer is pretty nice, although it loses some of the transmitters every once in a while. At first we were just going to buy a cheapo model with one transmitter, but we ended up with one that cost three times more than the one we were going to buy. It's pretty handy though, some sort of thermometer is a must in the coop, and not having to go out to check is nice. Getting temps from different spots in there is even nicer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by