Dixie Chicks

Thanks @RavynFallen
,  I should have mentioned, their breathing is fine. (Until they die.)  The pen is literally very open.  One side is chain link fence.  I have pallets all around the other sides and the top is a bird netting.  They have plenty of cover to go under boards as well as a dog house but do not go under cover for whatever reason.....birdbrains!

Sometimes you don't hear it in the lungs, usually yes, but known to happen... could be hypothermia from being too wet for too long...

I would put a pallet over the wet spot.... And figure out why they hate their coop... Maybe start feeding them treats inside the coop....

If I couldn't figure out how to get them to spend more time in the coop and out of the rain I would put a rain shelter where they hang out... Giant picnic umbrella, a table, a piece of plywood leaned up against a chair... Whatever... Rain shelter.

x2

Sometimes though they will still just stay in the rain... :idunno

Yep...

Well.... My grow outs decided to stage a revolt... I only have them in an 8x8 coop with an 8x8 run... And I have.... Uh..... Maybe 20 in there... So they started to eat each other.. :rolleyes: Second one with good enough feather loss that there was slight skin damage and I finally gave in...

I put all of the cockerels into the veggie garden.. Which is about 24x24 and has a table for a coop and wall to wall weeds to eat... With 5 ducks....

Then I opened my 8x8 coop and 8x8 run up to the 8x16 shed and the larger run... Which is... Uh..... Lumpy... So I am not sure on size...... 3x16 plus 24x10, with one corner cut off, plus 24x8

In the shed and big lumpy run... I have 22 standard sized chickens... Yep, I just counted :oops: and 3 of them have horrid feathers... But I don't think they are being picked on /eaten.... That should be plenty of space...

One is a dark brown leghorn.. She has been ratty for months now... I think others do eat her feathers, I think she is lowest in the pecking order

One is a Marans... A few of mine are horrid at molting.. And look super diseased when they molt.. But this one looked like some of her neck feathers had been eaten... Might be because she has gone broody.

One is my OE, she is also missing neck feathers, and is the only one missing back feathers, clearly from the rooster.

I do hope that with the extra pullets (uh.... 6.... Uh.... I dunno) they don't all flip out and start cannibalizing. Their first day together we gave them a giant pot of cooked fish. And yes, they have been getting the higher protein for at least a month now.

Ugh.... that sucks... mine are going into molt too...

Quote: It does. But even with the medicated feed as a preventative, I would def. treat for cocci. I would put them on something else if you can, like sulfadimethoxine. Corrid's okay, but it's the same ingredient as amprolium. Whatever you use, try to get some medication in them asap.

Last edited:
Yea!!! Finally got my house back and the daughter and family are gone and hubby went with them back to Texas for a visit. He thinks the transmission on the motor home died. I told him to sell that money pit. Is it really worth $500 a month for the next 15 years for a motor home that gets used once a year? I wanted a camper. It can sit there and I won't feel guilty. No motor no engine, no generator. That's for me.

I'm slowly getting my house back in order. Makes me wonder why I cleaned and straightened up before the daughter/family visit.

Mom is in rehab. A few days ago she had another episode of violent shaking and increased heart rate and went back to the hospital for a few hours and then back to the rehab. She told me today that this morning, she was first one in the rehab hair salon, and she sat there for three hours while everyone got their hair done. (?????). She didn't know why. I said I would ask.

Well as I talked to her nurse outside the room, I realized that she could have imagined the whole thing, like a hallucination. So I told that to the nurse too. I remember last year she was in the hospital over night and said there was a flood and she tried to help them clean up the water and they put her back to bed. She said her socks were soaked. My dad asked the nursing supervisor if there had been a flood and there wasn't. Hmmm.

Her doctor says she needs a nursing home and my dad is in denial and is going to take her home. I don't think he understands how much work that is, and thinks that if I fill in, it will be fine. I don't think so. He needs a caretaker for her for 8 hours a day 5 days a week. I also talked to him about them both moving to an ALF ( like a high class hotel with apartments). They can keep the dog and his car.

I should move away, LOL

I understand. My dad has been in and out of hospital the past 2months. Kidneys, diabetes, sugar comas, water on the heart, you name it. I told mom he's like a cat. 9 lives. His latest bout with the hospital, they told mom at 400+ lbs he needs to go to a nursing home facility because he cannot walk and she is in no shape to help him. Either she is in denial about him needing care, or the $230 per day (over $83,000 a year!) price tag scared her away, but she refuses to put him in a nursing home.

I'll have to wait til daylight to check on the sickies this morning. I isolated the 5 last night. Work all day, so nothing can be done with that pen until I get home tonight.

@Outpost JWB My silkies did that. Evey single night for a month I had to pick them up and put them in their coop, every night. A month ago I ate our welsummer rooster and put the silkies in with the other hens coop so I could put the giants and sussex in the temporary coop and run. I had to put them in two nights and they got it.(the giants and sussex)
The silkies with the new big coop still hudle up at night outside, even in the rain. And they are in the coop every day to eat drink and lay eggs and I've seen them on the roosts!!!??? I think some birds are just dumb...?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom