Dixie Chicks

seminolewind --
Ahh, yes. The mind trips of Parkinsons... My mother used to have interesting ones, like the time she told me she caused a scene in the dining room by stepping out of her wheelchair and decking one of the orderlies. Well, one, she is not and never has been a violent person; Two, getting out of the wheelchair wasn't a feat she could perform; Three, she had her meals in her room most times; Four, if that had truly happened she would've been expelled from the rehab center. You've just gotta learn to roll with it as the thought process takes very vivid detours. Some of them are really funny.

While the family's away.... Enjoy your solitude!

I understand. My dad has been in and out of hospital the past 2months. Kidneys, diabetes, sugar comas, water on the heart, you name it. I told mom he's like a cat. 9 lives. His latest bout with the hospital, they told mom at 400+ lbs he needs to go to a nursing home facility because he cannot walk and she is in no shape to help him. Either she is in denial about him needing care, or the $230 per day (over $83,000 a year!) price tag scared her away, but she refuses to put him in a nursing home.

I'll have to wait til daylight to check on the sickies this morning. I isolated the 5 last night. Work all day, so nothing can be done with that pen until I get home tonight.

What I am being told is that my dad needs to see a lawyer that deals with this situation only. The ALF's here charge 3k a month plus $ for xtra care I'm sure. If your husband has spent at least 1 day in the military during time of war, he qualifies for financial help. He can also get Medicaid to kick in but they can take everything buy your home, retirement , car, etc. There are also grants from private people that help. That's as far as I've checked into. Your mom cannot handle all this. It's detrimental to her own health.

Sorry about your birdies. Casportpony can help you with tube feeding from a-z. I've done that several times with her help to get 1 chick and 2 hens "over the hump" because dehydration and making sure they get the med is important. I usually give water with med, then start with adding that kaytee baby food. I was using aquarium tubing until I got some 20 fr. bladder catheters.

@Outpost JWB My silkies did that. Evey single night for a month I had to pick them up and put them in their coop, every night. A month ago I ate our welsummer rooster and put the silkies in with the other hens coop so I could put the giants and sussex in the temporary coop and run. I had to put them in two nights and they got it.(the giants and sussex)
The silkies with the new big coop still hudle up at night outside, even in the rain. And they are in the coop every day to eat drink and lay eggs and I've seen them on the roosts!!!??? I think some birds are just dumb...?
Silkies are not smart and cannot see well. All mine except alpha roo get trims so they can see. I've found that sometimes if I move their food 2 feet, they can't find it, LOL.

Beer can, I got a question, and I am a very open minded person when it comes to pets/roasters and fryers.

It sounds like you have pets like silkies and eat some chickens. Usually there is a thick line between the two. I guess I'm a pet owner and would just like to understand this better.
smile.png

seminolewind --
Ahh, yes. The mind trips of Parkinsons... My mother used to have interesting ones, like the time she told me she caused a scene in the dining room by stepping out of her wheelchair and decking one of the orderlies. Well, one, she is not and never has been a violent person; Two, getting out of the wheelchair wasn't a feat she could perform; Three, she had her meals in her room most times; Four, if that had truly happened she would've been expelled from the rehab center. You've just gotta learn to roll with it as the thought process takes very vivid detours. Some of them are really funny.

While the family's away.... Enjoy your solitude!
Thanks. The doc knows she has alzheimers, but does not think she has Parkinsons. There are a number of illnesses out there that cause violent shaking episodes and increased heart rate. Anxiety can set it off. So far I've read about PODS, and one other. The Parkinson meds made it worse. He put her on Xanax. I hope we get to understand more about her ailments . She, too, has had episodes of angriness and hit an orderly. Not like her at all.

Parents aging.... And their issues with aging, and them accepting their new limitations and illnesses and disabilities can be very upsetting and draining for everyone involved and everyone around them.....

Sometimes you can just stand aside and quietly remind them that they need to do X Y or Z every few days or weeks until they finally come to terms with it and can get themselves to do X Y and Z....

But there are times when you have to be firm and make it clear that they are no longer thinking clearly, that the child is now the parent and the parent is the child, and there are some things that MUST be done... And done now, no more waiting nicely.

Seminole..... It sounds to me that you might be getting towards the later with your parents :oops: So sorry :hugs

Yeah... The cost of old person care is horrifically frightening

So it's my fault that a customer at work has had her mower broke down for 2 weeks but she didn't bring it to me until Monday and I sent it to the repair shop tuesday...they looked at it Wednesday and ordered the parts Thursday. The owner of the mower lost their receipt, wanted me to find it. Not the easiest thing to find. We do 300+ transactions everyday and they bought it in April or May of 2014 on their credit card is all the information I had. Took me 2 days but I found a bunch of receipts for that specific mower. Called them, said I need the last 4 digits of their card # to make sure I give them the right one and she REFUSES to give it to me. Told her I have to have it to get the right one, I can't just give her any old receipt. She reluctantly gives it to me and I said oh here it is. I'll go fax it over now. She still proceeds to tell me this is all my fault (cause you all know I moonlight as a vandal on lawnmowers) and she demands I do my job (which isn't actually looking up receipts, I was trying to be nice) and she wants to talk to the owner of our corporate owned company.

Yeah, good luck with that!

Last edited:
What I am being told is that my dad needs to see a lawyer that deals with this situation only. The ALF's here charge 3k a month plus $ for xtra care I'm sure. If your husband has spent at least 1 day in the military during time of war, he qualifies for financial help. He can also get Medicaid to kick in but they can take everything buy your home, retirement , car, etc. There are also grants from private people that help. That's as far as I've checked into. Your mom cannot handle all this. It's detrimental to her own health.

Sorry about your birdies. Casportpony can help you with tube feeding from a-z. I've done that several times with her help to get 1 chick and 2 hens "over the hump" because dehydration and making sure they get the med is important. I usually give water with med, then start with adding that kaytee baby food. I was using aquarium tubing until I got some 20 fr. bladder catheters.
@Outpost JWB and @seminolewind , sorry you're both going through this.
hugs.gif

If any of you need help with tubing I can help while casportpony is on "vacation".

Parents aging.... And their issues with aging, and them accepting their new limitations and illnesses and disabilities can be very upsetting and draining for everyone involved and everyone around them.....

Sometimes you can just stand aside and quietly remind them that they need to do X Y or Z every few days or weeks until they finally come to terms with it and can get themselves to do X Y and Z....

But there are times when you have to be firm and make it clear that they are no longer thinking clearly, that the child is now the parent and the parent is the child, and there are some things that MUST be done... And done now, no more waiting nicely.

Seminole..... It sounds to me that you might be getting towards the later with your parents
hide.gif
So sorry
hugs.gif

Yeah... The cost of old person care is horrifically frightening
Thanks.. You make an important point about xyz. Today she started with the time again. Or days. She keeps saying that everyone insists that tomorrow is the 11th. I told her the date a few times. It does sound like "later" Alzheimer's especially all the years that we made excuses for her stories about things that never happened. I haven't heard from my dad for 5 days, which is he's either avoiding me and what I'm saying or he's made up his mind or has not.

My mother just thinks she's being treated for her broken wrist that healed. She has no idea about the rest. Do we tell her? Do we tell her a little?

Back
Top Bottom