Dixie Chicks

Super upset earlier. Came home from town, brought in groceries, went to check chickens, one dead white giant and two missing
barnie.gif
didn't know what got them three have been escaping the four foot fence. Wife says she seen the neighbors cat around. Whatever it was partly plucked it and then left it ten feet away next to the other chicken run, had me confused, maybe we interrupted it.
While I was setting up my trail cam on the dead body I put back by the pile of feathers, wishing I still had traps, two of the missing came running out of the bushes by the garage
bow.gif
Unloaded my .22 in our van and got packed up to take 11yr old bullhead fishing. Heard a ruckus, mama broody going nuts in her pen, giants and sussex going nuts but they do that, act like something's getting them, everything looked OK, NO! half the giants/sussex ran to the other side of the run, there was a HAWK! trying to KILL a few on the other side! I could not get the clip in the .22 fast enough, got it in ratcheted in a bullet, darn thing saw me, now twenty feet away, and flew into a pine tree above other run, cross hairs on it, DARN safety was on! It flew off!
he.gif
somad.gif

Wish I had brought out the shotgun! Wife came out, told her I was sure there was three or four dead or will be dead badly injured. Miraculously not a single injury! It had a few pinned down! What to do now! Put them all in the big coop with the big chickens.
I got them July 2, so they are almost two months old. Hopefully they will be OK. They are quite active and the big chickens didn't hurt the silkies when I put them in to make room for these chicks. Actually they did the same thing as when I put the silkies in, they acted scared of them. Half of the big chickens ran outside into the run like they were scared of them. They have a better chance of survival in the big coop with a covered run than they do where they were at. Dang chicken hawk! Sucks the one killed was one of the few pullets with correct white feathers and slate grey legs, I'd a rather it didn't kill any but would have rather it was a cockerel, I have mostly, or one of the few with wrong color legs or the greyish lilac colored ones....
rant.gif
OMG I'm so sorry. That must be one big hawk!!!

@chickisoup , So sorry to hear your friend is going thru that fire threat. I cannot imagine what their families are going thru. It's like they are in a 3rd world country now. I'll continue to pray for them all.

@chickisoup , So sorry to hear your friend is going thru that fire threat. I cannot imagine what their families are going thru. It's like they are in a 3rd world country now. I'll continue to pray for them all.
thank you.
hugs.gif
they appreciate all prayer.

It was a very refreshing high of 49 in town today. Boy, you could sure tell the tourists from the locals. The locals were the ones NOT bundled up like teddy bears!
lau.gif

Good morning all! @WVduckchick
frow.gif

@Amberjem , We moved our Amber Links to the big pen yesterday. They are super sweet. Had never heard of this breed but found them at the feed store this past spring. I'll let you know how they lay, but so far, so good!!!

@Alaskan , Hurry, while the kids are thawed out, have them get some firewood! LOL! We've been working a bit on that. Don't have the log rack filled yet. But working on it. The more we cut, the less we have to buy during the winter
big_smile.png

@Beer can , I've never known for hawks to do repeated strikes on a flock. That's awful. Maybe those plastic owls would deter them a bit.....if your gun hasn't already.

You all have a good day!

All runs will be covered for now on, no more hawk problem. I covered the big coop run last yr just to keep the leghorns and one EE in, they kept flying over the four foot fence even with clipped wings. I'm glad now I did. Little guys are doing good, looks like the only ones picking on them are the ones I thought wouldn't, the one polish and the silkies. The rest ignore them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom