Dixie Chicks

Oh good grief!!!!!!

Any deaths?

At least one.. all that was left was a few feathers, a foot that was attached to some spine and the neck...
I have to wait until Saturday now until I can get the bird netting across.
Ugh. Can't take the young one with me in this snowy weather or leave him in the house alone this long. Did I say "gaaah"
Might try and leave the ducks locked up?

At least one.. all that was left was a few feathers, a foot that was attached to some spine and the neck...
I have to wait until Saturday now until I can get the bird netting across.
Ugh. Can't take the young one with me in this snowy weather or leave him in the house alone this long. Did I say "gaaah"
Might try and leave the ducks locked up?

:hugs

As long as they have plenty of space, locking them up for a few days should be fine... better safe than sorry...

Ugh!!!!

Yep, that too... the "I want my chickens to eat vegan"
sickbyc.gif

I want my chicken to eat vegans.

(spoken like and by a true carnivore)

Ugh!!!!

Yep, that too... the "I want my chickens to eat vegan" :sick

Maybe if you stick them in a plastic box.... :rolleyes:

My chickens eat chicken.... and love it!

My chickens eat chickens, and duck...:gig

I like bacon to much to be a vegetarian...
:drool

X2

My ducks got attacked by bald eagles today

Just when we think we are keeping one type of predator out here comes another... That's bird eating bird

:barnie :hugs this sucks!

:hugs

As long as they have plenty of space, locking them up for a few days should be fine... better safe than sorry...
agreed

I want my chicken to eat vegans.

(spoken like and by a true carnivore)
:lau

My friend has a mixed flock of chickens and turkeys all the birds are eating layer feed, scraps and some scratch. All the birds except the silver laced wynodette's are fine, the silver are feather picking and eating. Do you guys think it's possible that the silver just happen to need a bit more protein? If so why do you think that is? Bad stock maybe?
If she can't fix it I will take them and give it a go... Can't pass on free chickens

Hennible, I have three SLW that are about 5 years old now. Never saw any feather picking. I wonder if your friend's birds have enough space? Or if they are homed together with the turkeys?

I've lost three birds, including my favorite English Orp brood hen this fall. My neighbor gave me a critter cam for Christmas...and I just set it up last night. If Waldo is a chicken killing opossum...where's waldo? It is easier to see if the pic is enlarged.

My friend has a mixed flock of chickens and turkeys all the birds are eating layer feed, scraps and some scratch. All the birds except the silver laced wynodette's are fine, the silver are feather picking and eating. Do you guys think it's possible that the silver just happen to need a bit more protein? If so why do you think that is? Bad stock maybe?
If she can't fix it I will take them and give it a go... Can't pass on free chickens

I have heard that some breeds do better with higher protein...not sure why.

Thanks you two
Space could be part of it, but her coop is large about 12x12 including a small storage area (not sure her current flock size though), not free ranging at this time of year and they do not have pen access... Her coop is sort of boring, limited perch space and nest boxes. Not mixed in with the turkeys, no.
Thinking through this, perhaps setting up the coop differently could solve some of these issues.

Back
Top Bottom