Dixie Chicks

Thanks, Kathy... the thing that got me is the firmness, but I dunno if ascites is firm or not?
Another thing to check would be to do a cloacal exam. insert finger and check for masses. The only mass one can usually feel is the gizzard, which is located on the left side. Everything else should feel soft.

Another thing to check would be to do a cloacal exam. insert finger and check for masses. The only mass one can usually feel is the gizzard, which is located on the left side. Everything else should feel soft.

Great tip, Kathy! Didn't know that one...

Glove up, Sam! ;) :lol:

By keeping her in isolation, you will be able to determine if she's laying normally, or not. My first guess would be mites. That may not be her only problem though. Again, keeping her in isolation, you will be able to see more of what is going on if/when she lays.

So i have a hen with issues also. I was thinking flystrike, but now I'm just thinking mites. She has no large open wounds, just found some gunk on the feather bases, saw a few wiggly things, so maybe fly maggots? But i bathed her in Epsom salt water a couple nights ago, combed her feathers, and sprayed with permethrin. Today she looks much better and actually laid an egg yesterday.
I repeated the process this morning, so i hope this is working for whatever it is. Comments, cautions, anything?
dry pics are before todays bath, wet ones afterward.
WP_20170704_09_47_54_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20170704_09_48_45_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20170704_10_03_57_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20170704_10_10_20_Pro_LI.jpg

Back
Top Bottom