diy anti-feather pecking spray/balm?

yes 9x5 feet. 5 are 27 weeks and the silkie is 30 weeks. i will have to get back to you on the brand of feed and the levels of calcium and such tomorrow. its at the back of my property in a large tote beside the chicken coop. sorry. im really trying my best
You're fine, its's cool, we're here to help you learn! :D
Hopefully the bag is still with tote.
Take some pics of coop and run when you go to check feed.

9x5 feet. 5 are 27 weeks and the silkie is 30 weeks. i will have to get back to you on the brand of feed and the levels of calcium and such tomorrow. its at the back of my property in a large tote beside the chicken coop. sorry. im really trying my best
No apologies needed! You're absolutely doing the right thing - asking for advice from people who have "been there, done that," before you.
Silkies do tend to get bullied by standard size chickens. They aren't usually very bold, and their crests often limit their vision, making it hard to see a coming attack until the other bird is already on top of them. If you can't separate your Silkie, then make sure s/he has a few lower perches. Silkies are heavy and their fluffy feathers keep them from actually flying. They don't fly, they just flutter, so high perches are out of their reach. Places to hide in/behind without getting cornered are a big plus, too. A leaning board fastened against the wall gives bullied birds an easy hidey-hole, as does a five-gallon bucket with both ends opened up. Since you have six full sized birds in a fairly tight space, adding some higher perches might be a good idea, too. Think of it as adding space by going up, instead of out.
Adding some boredom-busters would likely help, too. Bored chickens tend to take it out on their buddies, so you need to redirect their energy somewhere safe. There are lots of easy, DIY toys here on BYC. Some of the easiest (and cheapest!) to make are treat rollers. Take a sturdy plastic bottle, cut a few leak-holes (not big ones) in the side, and fill it about halfway with scratch - seeds, oatmeal, raisins, etc. They'll roll it around the run, letting the treats fall out the holes. It only keeps my not-so-bright Silkie busy for about ten minutes, but the other bantams will play with it all day long!
You just keep doing your best and keep asking questions. Your best will keep getting better, and pretty soon you'll be offering advice to other newcomers. That's the way BYC works ... and it's pretty cool!

Last edited:
No apologies needed! You're absolutely doing the right thing - asking for advice from people who have "been there, done that," before you.
Silkies do tend to get bullied by standard size chickens. They aren't usually very bold, and their crests often limit their vision, making it hard to see a coming attack until the other bird is already on top of them. If you can't separate your Silkie, then make sure s/he has a few lower perches. Silkies are heavy and their fluffy feathers keep them from actually flying. They don't fly, they just flutter, so high perches are out of their reach. Places to hide in/behind without getting cornered are a big plus, too. A leaning board fastened against the wall gives bullied birds an easy hidey-hole, as does a five-gallon bucket with both ends opened up. Since you have six full sized birds in a fairly tight space, adding some higher perches might be a good idea, too. Think of it as adding space by going up, instead of out.
Adding some boredom-busters would likely help, too. Bored chickens tend to take it out on their buddies, so you need to redirect their energy somewhere safe. There are lots of easy, DIY toys here on BYC. Some of the easiest (and cheapest!) to make are treat rollers. Take a sturdy plastic bottle, cut a few leak-holes (not big ones) in the side, and fill it about halfway with scratch - seeds, oatmeal, raisins, etc. They'll roll it around the run, letting the treats fall out the holes. It only keeps my not-so-bright Silkie busy for about ten minutes, but the other bantams will play with it all day long!
You just keep doing your best and keep asking questions. Your best will keep getting better, and pretty soon you'll be offering advice to other newcomers. That's the way BYC works ... and it's pretty cool!
thank you so much!!!! i will definitely do that leaning board trick and the roller bottle thing. we also have some perches through the chicken wire in a corner but i thinks its time for some thicker ones because the big girls don't really use them.
your advice is the best so far, obviously i dont want to lose another silkie. they are just the best chickens out there! if worst comes to worst we will have to give her back to the hobby farm we purchased her as a chick from :( thats where we ended up sending our roo after our neighbors couldn't tolerate his adolescent attempts at crowing... i would also probably be able to visit her so maybe it wouldnt be all that bad. anyways im rambling, thanks for your help!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom