DIY chicken tractor plans and instructions

any questions so far? before I get to carried away with braces, how flat is your land? does it need to be extra strong to be pushed up hills?

this is a top view of the coop, you need to install a couple cross braces as shown in the pic. this is just to help support the floor and keep the center board from warping, you can offset these a couple inches to make them easier to nail.

ok, now for the floor, it should fit flush with the outside boards, you will have to notch to go around vertical boards. this coop is very hard to give exact measurements on because building methods will change it a lot. but you will measure in 3 inches this is the depth of the cut. next measure your cuts to block out for 2x4 uprights. the first measurement should be around 5 inches, second will be about 20 1/2 third about 24 even the last should be at about 42 inches. if your measurements don't match this, don't worry to much. with minor adjustments everything will go together fine.

this is an image of the floor installed. from a top view.

I left the roofing components out for clear view.

use liquid nails between 2x4's and plywood and screw or nail it down really tight.

run a string from the end of the outside rafters, shown in yellow in pic. align end of other 3 rafters with string, set at 2 feet, 4 feet and 6 feet..

from this point I am assuming that the metal for the roof lays 3 feet wide, so you will need 3 pieces or 9 feet.

cut 3 - 1 inch thick pieces of lumber 8 feet 8 inches long. install first 2 even with truss ends, and a 4 inch overhang, center the third one. if you get a lot of snow you might add another one with a 6 foot roof. (shown installed in blue on picture)

ok, now for the roof. install metal by manufacturers directions. if your screwing down rib type metal always put the screw in the high ridges. use screws with washers for roofing. make sure to get your first piece straight with 2 inch overhang past the "blue boards"

Neat design. I like how you cantilevered some of the weight of the coop out over the far end of the axle to make it easier to lift/move. I keep playing with the idea of building a small tractor like this to raise some meaties.

Back
Top Bottom