DIY chicken tractor plans and instructions

now we are coming to some more construction options. as drawn below this will hold bedding in, if you live in cold climates and this is going to be your winter coop, I would do this. remember, it does add weight. if your not worried about holding the bedding in, you can use a 2x2 instead of 2x4 as shown in the pictures. this will also be just a little cheaper. by using 2x4's however you will be making this a lot stronger.

first instructions: I was thinking about the wheels and their stress points. I decided to add another brace shown in orange at the bottom of the coop. put this brace in on both sides.

decide how big you want your doors in your coop. and lay out as shown in orange and blue above. if you want a window on the other side, simply do the same thing.

from this point on, I wont be able to give accurate measurements. if you don't know how to make a measurement, just ask; ill draw out a diagram to show you how.

also build wheel braces as shown in pic, build from 2x4 running vertical, and 2x6 horizontal. build 2 of these alternating what board is on top. (for opposite wheels)

location is shown in diagram below. you will need to adjust the size of these to match the length of axel (width of wheel plus enough to mount/go through frame.) it is recommended that you screw this in. add additional braces diagonally towards coop floor if you think you need it.

Last edited:
screw or nail another 2x2 or 2x4 (your choice from above) over the vertical boards shown In pink.

cut and notch your first piece of siding to line up as shown. use liquid nails on all faces that it will touch flat against. screws are recommended here, pull them all tight.

next you can side the rest of the run end, and the 2 sides. use the pics below to help you figure out your notches. remember to use liquid nails on all faces the siding touches flat.

as you can see, its getting dangerously close to being able to hold a chicken. for siding, I would recommend some exterior plywood, if you use something that has decorative grooves in it, you will have to cut it in half. this will still work ok, but you will lose some strength.

i apologize for the delay, I decided to take the NPIP plunge. had to make some new cages, get some things moved around. test was finally done today. so now I have some free time. I will finish this tonight and tomorrow.

I have edited some earlier posts to better accommodate the wheels. I have searched around and found this link for some lower priced wheels if you need to buy them new.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-3676&catname=wheels

the same place has larger wheels you can use, you may have to move a brace for larger wheels. I would also add a second brace after they are installed. 2 of these wheels combined hold 700 lbs, if you think your coop weighs more, you can double them up.

plywood cut diagram for nest boxes. this will make 6, this should be plenty.

you will use an 8 foot 1x12 for the floor.

rip and use a 1x4 to attach the dividers on 16 inch centers. use 2 pieces to attach from the sides to the 2x4 frame at height you decide. (idea raise nest boxes 4 inches, use 1x6 on inside of coop to hold in eggs and nesting material, also holding nest box to floor.)

put your siding on, then add the lid to the nest box, you can cut this in half but you will have to stop a potential leak. I would use old inner tube to overlap the seam.

a good way to figure out your doors, if the hinges are on the side, subtract 1 inch from height, 1/2 inch from width.

if your hinge side is on the top or bottom, subtract 1 inch from width. and 1/2 inch from height.

I like to build my doors flat, using triangular pieces of plywood in the corners to hold them together. with a smooth face you can add plexiglass in winter to help keep them warm.

some other tips:

make the ramp into your coop hinged, so you can raise and lower it for moving.
make a door into the run area, just in case you need to get in there. I will usually use 2 latches and wire to hold run doors shut.
check with others to find what predators you have in your area, choose wire carefully.
in winter you can cover the run with plastic, the birds will still enjoy it on sunnier days.
keep any perches higher than nest boxes and feeders. also don't locate a perch over your feed/water area.
your birds will also enjoy outside perches.

Back
Top Bottom