DIY dust bath

Beehappy13

In the Brooder
May 14, 2020
Montana
Hello there everyone! I’m new here so I’m sorry if I ask a dumb question or something that’s already been answered somewhere else. But I started my new little flock of 5 chicks on 4/23. Got 3 Americanas and 2 speckled Sussex. So they’re about 3 weeks old now (I estimate because I got them from the local tractor supply store so I have no idea how old they were when I got them) They have been living in the house in my diy tote brooder condo. I can’t put them outside yet since the weather has been so bipolar. So I’m making them a little dust bath for their brooder. The only thing I was able to locate was peat moss and play sand. I just want to make sure a mix of these two are going to be ok for our little flock. I posted a pic of what I got. Any advice and helpful hints are welcome. Thanks everyone!
B1638003-B89E-41F8-B333-597E5B287544.jpeg
715DB747-A245-493B-BA0E-D603037D6BA2.jpeg

I don't have aynthing constructive to add but I'm in the same boat as far as chick ages and bipolar weather! I might have to dry the dust bath in the brooder too. Also, super jealous that you got some speckled sussex babies, they're my favorite!

I don't have aynthing constructive to add but I'm in the same boat as far as chick ages and bipolar weather! I might have to dry the dust bath in the brooder too. Also, super jealous that you got some speckled sussex babies, they're my favorite!
Thanks. I had to practically hunt them down for weeks to find them lol

Hello there everyone! I’m new here so I’m sorry if I ask a dumb question or something that’s already been answered somewhere else. But I started my new little flock of 5 chicks on 4/23. Got 3 Americanas and 2 speckled Sussex. So they’re about 3 weeks old now (I estimate because I got them from the local tractor supply store so I have no idea how old they were when I got them) They have been living in the house in my diy tote brooder condo. I can’t put them outside yet since the weather has been so bipolar. So I’m making them a little dust bath for their brooder. The only thing I was able to locate was peat moss and play sand. I just want to make sure a mix of these two are going to be ok for our little flock. I posted a pic of what I got. Any advice and helpful hints are welcome. Thanks everyone! View attachment 2139861
I have the exact same sand that was lying around in my backyard, and I use it for their dust bath. They seem to like it. Also, my chicks are 3 weeks old too. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom