DIY dust bath?

xmissjadie

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
My chickens have been trying to dust bathe in their bedding that is in their coop. I want to make a place for them where they can dust bathe. Anyone tried this before? Maybe a kids sandbox? Would I use dirt from my yard or something else? Thanks!

Yes, many people do that. You can use a cat litter box, an old kids pool, or anything in between. The sandbox sounds perfect. I got a utility tub thing from the hardware store for my run. You can put sand or dirt in it and some people mix Food Grade Diatomaecous Earth (DE) (NOT THE KIND FOR POOLS) and/or wood ashes in there for extra mite control.

Last edited:
We're in process of sand boxing in the kids swing/playset for dual purpose bath and kids sand box. The two things ruining the yard are feet dragging on the swing and chickens making a bath. Of course then the kids dig in the chicken baths and drag dirt all over the yard, porch...sometimes into the house...

We have our 3 hens in a chicken tractor, so there's really no option for a permanent dust bath. I have some sand in a flat horse feed pan (about 18" in diameter, maybe 5-6" deep) that I put in with them every couple of days.

Thanks for the ideas!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom