DIY Impaction Surgery

So Far So Good!
We are TIRED, but the patient did great. Went right to trying to eat the bits of food left in his feathers 😜.
I'll update tomorrow, but for now let the pics tell the story:
IMG_20211116_204455749.jpg
Screenshot_20211116-211704.png

Screenshot_20211116-211832.png

Gads! What a wad! Your patient definitely has a look of relief. Good job!
Thanks! And thank you to everyone vfor the advice & support.💗
It was mostly stringy grass, a little straw & some fresh grass he ate while fiancé let him out to 'be a chicken' while I was away. Also a LOT of thick gooey feed. Poor thing was gorging because so little was getting through.
I was amazed how cooperative he was, and almost no bleeding at all. The only complication was the super glue not holding, so I went back in with sutures & that took awhile. Hoping I got it right 🤞, but it looks good this morning & he's definitely feeling better.
I'm wondering if I should give antibiotic as a precaution, or just wait & watch for any sign of infection?
Screenshot_20211117-071846.png

A proactive antibiotic might be wise. It takes less time when done as a preventative than after infection begins.

Super glue requires one full minute of holding the two pieces in place for the glue to make them bond. Or far less, if it happens to get on you somewhere while you're gluing something. I once managed to get some on my lips once. Don't ask.

A proactive antibiotic might be wise. It takes less time when done as a preventative than after infection begins.

Super glue requires one full minute of holding the two pieces in place for the glue to make them bond. Or far less, if it happens to get on you somewhere while you're gluing something. I once managed to get some on my lips once. Don't ask.
😂😂😂
I kind of want to ask. (?)
Well here's a little tip for those following this for future reference: If you soak your implements in alcohol prior to the procedure, don't do it in a glass identical to your drinking water. What may happen next is NOT pleasant. 😫
Thankfully this happened just before we got started. I had to keep sipping milk throughout the surgery. 🤦🤦

Anyway, I think the problem with the glue was some residual moisture/weepiness. Probably could've tried it again but the sutures were at the ready so we went that route.

Back
Top Bottom