DIY incubator questions and so much more!

AntiqueB

Free Ranging
Aug 27, 2020
Bergen County, NJ
We went to a chicken expo today, and the nice pullet lady gave my kid an egg. All the birds they had were missing saddle feathers, and there were 2 cockerels in there, so I suspect the egg is fertile. Of course, kid wants to try too hatch it. Of course, I do not have an incubator, and have never hatched an egg before. So,

1. I've heard of dry incubation. Is that easier to do with a homemade incubator?

2. I read to turn the egg 3 times per day. Is that half a rotation? A third? Complete newbie! :oops:

3. Does anyone have a DIY incubator that worked well for them? With stuff that's probably laying around the house?

Before anyone says anything, I know hatching one chick is bad. I am home 24/7; s/he will not lack for love, and I have 2 other chickens already, with 2 more due in June.

I bow to BYCers expertise, and thank you all!

1. Dry incubation just means you don't add water to raise the humidity. The incubator still has some humidity. That would make it easier with any type of incubator but doesn't neccessarily mean better.

2. If the eggs are standing up at an angle, you tilt them from the left to the right. That is one turn. The next turn, you would tilt them from the right to the left.

If the eggs are laying on their sides, some people have a mark on the egg and then just turn it over 180 degrees. That woud be a turn. Then later they turn it back over for a 2nd turn. I've seen people open the incubator and use both hands to generally roll them around. That would be considered a turn.

Turn 3 times per day at a minimum. 5 is better and use an odd number.

Incubation Guide.

You'd have to understand how an incubator works before you go building one if you want to be successful. I'm sure you don't want to buy an incubator for 1 egg but the Nuture Right 360 has good reviews. I'd say that is the best incubator you can get for the money.

Back
Top Bottom