DIY: Roost Bars

skullgrrrl

Crowing
11 Years
Sep 10, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
I used to pick up coffee grounds from Starbucks every week. They kept a bin in their walk in dumpster area and allowed me to take whatever I wanted.

I found this discarded bakery rack and picked it up thinking it might come in handy. I ended up mounting it horizontally as roost bars in my coop.

It's easy to clean and everyone has their place without getting too close to their neighbours. Best thing is it was totally free.
IMG_5790.jpg
IMG_6047.JPG
IMG_9817.jpg
IMG_9820.jpg

Is that metal? Not sure as to your location, but if you're in a location that gets significantly cold, metal could be an issue as their feet could literally stick to it.

I personally wouldn't have used it for a roost beyond that, the bars are too small diameter IMO and closer together than I'd like (obviously your birds get along!) but it's still a nice pick up. It would've made a great garden trellis for peas or beans maybe? Or a support for something in the run, like a lean-to shelter.

I have some reservations about this as well.
Metal does not make a good material for roost bars, partly because of the reason @rosemarythyme mention and in this instance there are hard corners and that isn't good for the chickens feet.

Is that metal? Not sure as to your location, but if you're in a location that gets significantly cold, metal could be an issue as their feet could literally stick to it.

I personally wouldn't have used it for a roost beyond that, the bars are too small diameter IMO and closer together than I'd like (obviously your birds get along!) but it's still a nice pick up. It would've made a great garden trellis for peas or beans maybe? Or a support for something in the run, like a lean-to shelter.
I live in a temperate rainforest - lots of rain, not too cold and very little snow. No chance of frozen feet. There are wooden slats across the metal rack and additional wooden roost bars but they like the Starbucks' ones best.

Back
Top Bottom