DLM on top of sand?

BanoOmg

Songster
Oct 6, 2020
Southern California
My run has a thin layer of sand between the dirt and the shavings and straw. 2" at the deepest probably, but most spots it's under 1". It's a covered run, designed to be like an open coop.

When I put it together, I felt I was being clever and that it would help with rain drainage. We've gone through what I expect to be the "harshest" San Diego rain we'll be getting this year, and it turns out the run stays almost completely dry.

Additional reading has piqued my curiosity, and I want to try DLM.

Would I need to remove the sand layer? Can I just till it with the bedding that's already there, and add chips to make it deep?

My concern is that if I just till the sand and soil, the sand will mess up something with the composting process. Typing this out shows me that that sounds ridiculous, but waddaya think?

Thanks in advance!

For clarification, here are some definitions:

Deep Bedding: A dry, non-composting system where you keep adding bedding to the coop as it becomes soiled -- managing it by turning it as necessary (or getting the chickens to turn it for you) -- and clean it out only infrequently when the bedding has become both thoroughly soiled and piled up to the point of not being able to add more. Usually used above a floor in the coop but *can* be done in a covered run over dirt in a favorable climate.

Deep Litter: A moist (not wet, moist), system where the lower layers of material are actively composting while new, dry material is continually added to the top. *Can* be done on any floor surface but is most readily accomplished on a dirt floor because the dirt will seed the material with the beneficial composting organisms.

The ground under my in-town chickens was pure sand and the DLM did well in that run -- which was half roofed and half open. How it would work for your situation would depend on what your soil is like -- sand plus clay plus a bit of straw then baked in the sun = adobe.

If you have distinct wet and dry seasons you might have to manage your run differently at different times of year. Some people using DLM inside a roofed and/or walled area intentionally add moisture to keep the composting going.

DLM actually favors having some moisture, in order to compost, so it may not be optimal for your run as you'd need to add moisture. It sounds like your current system works pretty well, so you may want to continue with it as is, unless there's a specific concern you're trying to address?

DLM should actually let moisture drain through, which is why it's popular in areas with wetter climates. In very dry climates, just straight up sand might be the best option, though it would need to be cleaned out daily for optimal performance.

I ended up buying and tossing in another bag of pine shavings. I also got a bale of straw that my girlfriend is going to use for growing a couple different kinds of mushrooms.

I'll use the leftover straw to make some adobe ;)

My current system is starting to get a little stinky. I'll first try adding more bedding material and see if it helps.

My understanding was that the moisture in DLM came from regular chicken activity and whatever moisture is in the soil already. I thought it just held onto the moisture.

I know that we get reeeeeaaallyy dry a lot of the year, so I guess DLM might not work out anyway!

Thanks for the reply!

Back
Top Bottom