Do all my birds need treatment

ChickenMama1988

Chirping
Aug 10, 2022
i noticed my Stella girl has bumble foot! she’s swollen and limping .. we watched video of how to treat it but my questions is a few of my birds have scabs on the bottom of their feet, i only know bc i checked them all but none seem to be bothered! Do i need to treat all of their feet and wrap them? or is it okay for them to have some scabs as long as they aren’t discomforted

Attachments

• DA91FAFB-F97A-4915-A71B-9D4DA7DF6AC1.jpeg
    DA91FAFB-F97A-4915-A71B-9D4DA7DF6AC1.jpeg
    551.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 86464332-DED7-499A-BFCD-AFB911896B98.jpeg
    86464332-DED7-499A-BFCD-AFB911896B98.jpeg
    715.5 KB · Views: 10
A black scab, as opposed to a tan scab, means that the staph bacterium is at work in the tissues and requires treatment. A very thin black scab probably will be simple to treat, though, requiring nothing more than soaking to soften the scab, then pulling it off, and spraying with Vetericyn for a few days in a row.

If the scab has a pus kernel attached to the scab, that means more staph bacteria is working, so bandaging for a couple days would be best.

A black scab, as opposed to a tan scab, means that the staph bacterium is at work in the tissues and requires treatment. A very thin black scab probably will be simple to treat, though, requiring nothing more than soaking to soften the scab, then pulling it off, and spraying with Vetericyn for a few days in a row.

If the scab has a pus kernel attached to the scab, that means more staph bacteria is working, so bandaging for a couple days would be best.
that is super helpful thank you!! we are having a hard time getting the kernel out of stella’s foot .. the hole is too small!! any tips to help it come out?

Soaking daily in warm Epsom salts water may soften the scab, and then when it is removed, sometimes a bit of squeezing is needed to get the pus out. How is your coop ventilation? What is your type of bedding in your coop and the surface in the run? It looks like it may be muddy or there is soiled bedding that could be causing foot pad dermatitis. Also their poop, depending on what they eat, can be very irritating to the feet. Good air circulation can help dry out conditions. Sand in a deep layer can be good for drainage, and can be swept and sifted to keep it clean. If using other bedding keep it dry and stirred, and at least 3 inches deep. Here is a good article to read:
https://www.farmhealthonline.com/disease-management/poultry-diseases/footpad-dermatitis/

Soaking daily in warm Epsom salts water may soften the scab, and then when it is removed, sometimes a bit of squeezing is needed to get the pus out. How is your coop ventilation? What is your type of bedding in your coop and the surface in the run? It looks like it may be muddy or there is soiled bedding that could be causing foot pad dermatitis. Also their poop, depending on what they eat, can be very irritating to the feet. Good air circulation can help dry out conditions. Sand in a deep layer can be good for drainage, and can be swept and sifted to keep it clean. If using other bedding keep it dry and stirred, and at least 3 inches deep. Here is a good article to read:
https://www.farmhealthonline.com/disease-management/poultry-diseases/footpad-dermatitis/
ventilation in the coop is good!! we use coop clean (it’s a straw and pine shavings) we completely remove all the bedding and replace with fresh every 2-3 days .. but we throw more bedding down everyday!! The run is the same .. they usually move all the bedding out of the way to expose the dirt but it’s covered and for the most part dry aside from the edges! They spend most of the day in the yard or the woods next to our yard where we keep the compost pile! i noticed stella’s foot immediately today!! i checked everyone else and 3 of them have scabs but no swelling .. if i remove the scabs do i need to wrap their feet as well?

Usually after removing the scab, I would apply some neosporin ointment and a 2x2 gauze pad, and then wrap it in vet wrap. Here is a good video:

Some people who see bumblefoot use a paste of Betadine or povidone iodine and sugar, then applied to the foot and bandaged for a couple of days. You can get the Equate iodine at Walmart for less in the first aid aisle. Repeat in 2-3 days.

Usually after removing the scab, I would apply some neosporin ointment and a 2x2 gauze pad, and then wrap it in vet wrap. Here is a good video:
sorry so many questions this is just new to me and im so worried!! do i have to remove all the scabs? do you want to see pictures? i only know the scabs are there bc i looked

but stella definitely has a kernel and we can’t seem to get it out .. we took a break put Neosporin and wrapped her and i’m keeping her in the house bc i don’t want to stress her out!!

My flock seemed to get a bit of bumblefoot at first roaming around rocky soil. After I did a few surgeries on the worst ones, I learned than not every case requires treatment. I only treat them if they are limping, or if the foot pad is swollen and red.

My flock seemed to get a bit of bumblefoot at first roaming around rocky soil. After I did a few surgeries on the worst ones, I learned than not every case requires treatment. I only treat them if they are limping, or if the foot pad is swollen and red.

My flock seemed to get a bit of bumblefoot at first roaming around rocky soil. After I did a few surgeries on the worst ones, I learned than not every case requires treatment. I only treat them if they are limping, or if the foot pad is
the previous home owners did leave a lot of glass buried in the garden boxes .. i’m thinking maybe she hit a piece .. i did a thorough cleaning of it today to make sure!! i have one last question though. Can she free range once her foot is all wrapped and can i allowed her back in with the coop to sleep with the flock or should we isolate her?

Back
Top Bottom