Do any of you have this type of quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ducksliketoswim, Jan 19, 2013.

1. ducksliketoswim

ducksliketoswim Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2012
    [​IMG] I was looking at James Marie farms for some quail eggs to buy and would really love to start with these guys. The main reason I want quail is for eggs, do you guys know how these guys are when it comes to egg laying? Thanks!

2. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Eggcelent layers.

3. laseterlass

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I got 100 eggs last fall. Due to a power outage only 7 hatched. But those 7 have hatched about 100 cots so far! And I have made multiple jars of pickled eggs.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  4. Never seem those kind before. Did it say what breed?

5. ducksliketoswim

May 9, 2012
    They are called Range Tuxedo

oh wow sounds like they are some pretty busy quail! You got the same type of quail that is pictured above?

6. laseterlass

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    That is a color of the coturnix quail. Like some people are blondes some are not. But we are all people. I actually bought his Manchurian Golds and Jumbo Browns.

7. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Looks like a tux that was bred to have white on the belly too. Gorgeous! All Coturnix quail except maybe jumbos are excellent layers, producing around 200-250 eggs per year.

8. laseterlass

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    My jumbos lay the same as regulars. Just 3 eggs to a chickens instead of five.

9. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Range Tuxedo (When you combine a Range Coturnix with a A&M/ British(English) Range Coturnix)

Some are pied and some are areas (back yellowy/golden, front white), maybe some are stripes (could be).

Basically tuxedos are two dominant (or more) colours, on one bird. (In Coturnix quail atleast)

10. ducksliketoswim

May 9, 2012
    I called the hatchery dude and he said if i wanted quail for eggs I should go for the Gold Manchurian because they are the best egg layers. So I decided to go with 8 mandchurians and 7 Texas A&M's. I cant wait for my eggs to get in! The only thing i've ever hatched before are ducklings so this should be a pretty neat new experience for me! I've never ordered eggs before so I was wondering how good the hatch rate would be? Anyone ever have any problems incubating eggs that have been shipped?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by