Most reliable hatcheries for Jumbo Coturnix Quail??

Farmlife16

Songster
Aug 12, 2021
I'm looking to buy Jumbo Coturnix quail eggs and I wanted to make sure I'm getting them from a reputable source.
Also, unrelated, but how much space per quail when raising them for meat??

Thank you!!

I'm looking to buy Jumbo Coturnix quail eggs and I wanted to make sure I'm getting them from a reputable source.

Thank you!!
Where are you located there are some good sources around, but I would get them as local as possible. Would be easier to help when you have location on your profile.

Thieving Otter Farms has taken over the Southwest Gamebird lines, so they have some nice jumbo stock. They were the only place I tended to get my eggs as they were local and I have gotten some nice birds out of their lines.
I hadn't heard that Southwest had left the hatching egg business. Sorry to hear that as I was planning to buy eggs from them in the spring. I'll have to consider Thieving Otter, now. Thanks for letting me know.

I hadn't heard that Southwest had left the hatching egg business. Sorry to hear that as I was planning to buy eggs from them in the spring. I'll have to consider Thieving Otter, now. Thanks for letting me know.
Hadn't heard that either have birds from southwest. I see Thieving Otter is in tn. and they did say in their info that at least their Jumbo Browns were JMF line from another farm. Kansas City Quail did also sell JMF Jumbo lines they are in Mo. I have their birds also. AJ Farms also sold JMF Jumbo Browns but haven't seen anything available from them for a while really like their Jumbo Browns. Myshire Farms in OH. is also recommended from many. I haven't experienced their birds YET. :D

Thank you!!
Meat birds need at least 1 sq.ft. /bird....a better situation would be 2sq.ft. / bird. You will also have to figure in the amount of space taken up by feeders and waterers and allow for that.

Hadn't heard that either have birds from southwest. I see Thieving Otter is in tn. and they did say in their info that at least their Jumbo Browns were JMF line from another farm. Kansas City Quail did also sell JMF Jumbo lines they are in Mo. I have their birds also. AJ Farms also sold JMF Jumbo Browns but haven't seen anything available from them for a while really like their Jumbo Browns. Myshire Farms in OH. is also recommended from many. I haven't experienced their birds YET. :D
I had a set of 30+ eggs from Sandy Soil Farms, who say they're not selling eggs this year. Unfortunately, probably due to my inexperience, I had a very poor hatch rate with those eggs and I don't think I have any of the few that hatched left so my birds are almost certainly all Myshire and I initially had a lot of aggression issues with both males and females, but Darwinism seems to have taken care of that problem.

1707451452754.png

They have shifted their focus to their Quailology program, last time I was out and picked up some eggs I was talking with him about it and while they are no longer selling hatching eggs, they are not getting out of Coturnix, just not producing the amount of eggs needed for selling.

Back
Top Bottom